High Alkalinity during Baquacil to Chlorine conversion

MDpool

Sep 14, 2011
I started out with a pool full of green algae on Baquacil just before closing it. I found this site, got advise on the conversion to chlorine and started the process. The pool is much better, but the water is now a beautiful color of blue and I can faintly see the bottom. I ran to Walmart and got a hth test kit (these are strips, that's what I had with Baquacil so I figured it would be easier for me) that has recommented ranges.

FC....hth recommends - 2-4 / my # - 2-4
PH....hth recommends - 7.5 / my# - 7.5
Alka...hth recommends - 80-100 / my # - 180
Total Hardness....hth recommends - 200-400 / my # - 0
CYA...hth resommends - 30-50 / my # - 30-50

I read somewhere (I thought it was here on this site) that the total hardness does not matter in above ground vinyle lining pools. Is that correct or do I need to get the level up to the recommended level?

How about the alkalinity? How do I get it down to where it needs to be? And how do I get the alkalinity down without having the PH go down too.

I can smell the liquid chlorine, is that ok?

I'm getting ready to close the pool for the season so I at least want to get a good start on the conversion so it won't be such a pain in the spring.

You should be reading Pool School. Don't use the HTH recommended numbers. Get your suggested levels from here. You also need a good test kit. I don't know how you converted without one.

The fact that you have clarity issues says you have NOT finished completely. Strips are notoriously wrong and are no good at all for doing a conversion.

The fact that you smell chlorine is another indicator that you're not done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.