Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: switching pump and filter maybe

1. Back To Top    #1

Central Illinois

switching pump and filter maybe

Earlier this summer the pump was ran dry for about 20 minutes b4 I caught it and it has been working, but not like it used to. It's never built up the same pressure since, even with a new filter in it. 2hp hayward and hayward cartridge filter and our pool is 18' x 54" abv grd. I have a friend who recently took his pool down and has been sitting on his system that is a 1hp hayward power flo st1580z2lx and a 18" hayward sand filter. He wants $150 for it. It seems like a good deal and I think my 2hp is too much pump for the pool anyway and isn't a sand filter a better filter than cartridge? So TFP community, my question is, should I buy it?
    18' x 54" Round AGP, Hayward pump/Cartridge Filter, 8 Gallon Liquidator, and TF-Test

2. Back To Top    #2

Sicklerville, NJ

Re: switching pump and filter maybe

There's no reason you couldn't use the 1HP pump with your current cartridge filter if you wanted to keep it. Sand or cartridge is more of a preference than one-is-better thing. If the equipment is in good condition then $150 sounds reasonable.
    25k gal Lazy-L, vinyl liner, poly walls, swimout spa, diving board, TurboTwister slide.
    Hayward 2HP 2-spd pump, Pentair 2HP spa pump, Hayward 30" 500lb sand filter.
    Goldline Pro Logic PS-8 automation/SWG. 2 LED ColorLogic 4.0. 8 Jandy deck jets. MX-8 cleaner.