why bother clearing the algae

patplh

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2009
Massachusetts
so, i waited too long to schedule a pool closing and due to various reasons, we haven't gotten around to chlorinating the pool. Right now, it's green.. very green.. and i'm wondering what harm there is to not bringing it to shock level before we close. The reason i ask is because ever since we've had this pool (2.5 yrs) we've opened it to a green swamp and i wonder how much worse it would be if it's already green now.

Also, the pool company who will be closing it for us said they add pool shock before closing and then for add'l $45, they'll add pH buffer, metal (something, i can't read my handwriting), non chlorine shock and something to help with alkalinity. Do I need all that? again, just wondering how much worse my swamp would really get if I didn't get all that.

FYI, we have a safety cover, so it's totally porous and I guess there's no way of avoiding algae anyways with a cover like this?

Thanks

ok, thanks.. i figure that a swamp before i close and a swamp after i close are just swamps all the same..
i am curious if it's possible to avoid a swamp when i open though..it's never been done before at our house..

btw, i noticed in a few posts that the 'officials' .. ie jason, etc .. recommend adding algaecide.. when we close this year, we'll just be getting shock.. should i have the pool guy add that before we close?

thanks again..

patplh said:
ok, thanks.. i figure that a swamp before i close and a swamp after i close are just swamps all the same..
i am curious if it's possible to avoid a swamp when i open though..it's never been done before at our house..

You can avoid a swamp when you open by closing late and opening early and following the shock/close method in Pool School;HOWEVER, it will not happen thiscoming season for you as you are closing 'green'.

btw, i noticed in a few posts that the 'officials' .. ie jason, etc .. recommend adding algaecide.. when we close this year, we'll just be getting shock.. should i have the pool guy add that before we close?

Polyquat 60 is recommended for a 'clean' close as it will help prevent algae, but since you already have algae, no since adding algaecide. Save your $ for spring opening :wink: .

If possible, could you post your CYA level at closing and again at opening?

thanks again..

One of the guys from the pool company that installed our pool came out to replace the flow switch under warranty. He told us that 62F is the magic water temp. Open the pool before the water temp reaches 62F, and close it after it drops below 62F, and you'll eliminate the algae problem. Our pool was installed late summer '09, and so far we've never had an algae bloom. There were several people around us that have a mustard algae bloom this spring, it never affected us.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

There is no single magic temperature. There are rare reports of algae growing in frozen-over pools though such growth is very, very slow. I usually recommend closing the pool when the water is as cold as possible, though 50ºF is probably quite reasonable, and to open as early as possible. One can certainly pick a different temperature, but the risk is higher at a higher temperature. The colder the temperature the slower algae grows and the longer chlorine lasts if not exposed to sunlight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.