Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: water flowing backwards after shut off

1. Back To Top    #1

water flowing backwards after shut off

Hi, not sure if this is the correct place to post but here is the problem....

We have a pool / Spa combo and I suck the water from the spa and return it to the pool to skim the water more efficiently. everything has been great for the past 15 years but recently when I turn off the pump and come back an hour or so later I find that the DE has drained from the filter back into the SPA. I havent tried using the pool skimmers and turning off the pump to see if its flowing back there because its a lot easier to vacuum it back from the spa .

any ideas what could be causing this?

from what I can tell there are no leaks anywhere in the system (i dont see wet areas)
    19,000 gal in ground pool / spa, fiberglass liner, DE filters, BBB, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: water flowing backwards after shut off

That usually happens because an air leak on the suction side of the plumbing is allowing air to accumulate in the filter. When you turn the pump off the air pressure forces the water backwards through the system. It is less likely, but also possible that a pressure side leak is allowing the system to drain down when it is off.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

In had DE coming back through the floor drain into my pool on shut down. It was caused by a failed check valve.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks where would the check valve be located?
    19,000 gal in ground pool / spa, fiberglass liner, DE filters, BBB, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

You may not have one. Post a pic of your equipment.....it can be located virtually anywhere along the above ground piping.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

My check valve was located between the pump and the filter. I cut it out and put in a new one......problem solved.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit