Pentair VF response to power flicker

Sep 19, 2011
Miami, FL
I'm a new member and looking to replace my old Sta-Rite and really like the Pentair VF. I read that the VF has some trouble to lightning surges. At my house we lose power very briefly on average one every week or two. It doesn't last long, just enough to have to reset a few clocks. Does anyone have any experience to know if that would be a problem for the VF?

I think that just losing power and having it restored won't harm the unit. However, frequent loss of power might indicate a general power supply quality problem. If the voltage is frequently out of acceptable range, it could harm sensitive electronics. Besides voltage, there are other power qualities that are important, such as frequency and waveform. As power is lost and restored, the power quality is most at risk and most likely to cause damage.

You might want to consider investing in a Whole House Surge Protection and Power Conditioning system. You might also want to consider investing in a Whole House Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS).
http://www.apc.com/site/products/index.cfm

With the amount of computers, servers, and other sensitive and expensive electronics, it is probably a good idea for most high-end homes.

It might be worthwhile to get a data logging power/voltage meter to see if there are any power quality issues. Perhaps you could use a surge protector just on the pump.

A meter that keeps track of power supply quality could help identify out of bounds conditions, and it will make it easier to file a claim against the power company if low quality power causes harm to any of your electronics.

Have you had any electronic failures due to power quality issues?

Do you know why the power is being lost on such a frequent basis?

I haven't had any electronic failures due the flickering, just the annoying microwave & oven clock resets. I don't know why it's being lost so often, but I suspect it's because we're now pretty far West in Dade County, closer to the Everglades. I'll call Pentair and see what they say. Thanks for all the replies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.