Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I find a leak

1. Back To Top    #1

How do I find a leak

Our above ground pool has started losing water. It's now down past the pump lines so believe it's somewhere in the liner. However, it is now cold and jumping in would be shocking to say the least. Is there any way to find the leak without diving in? Also, since the season is over, is it worth trying to find and fix now and save the water that's left or should I let it run out? Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do I find a leak

I had a similar situation last year. I had a tree limb fall through my cover and puncture the bottom of the pool. I knew where the gash was but it was too cold to fix it. So I waited until the water was at knee level, and got in with garbage bags around my legs. Patched it easy as pie, of course i knew where it was.

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

I'd say do as Durf did if you can find it. Are there any wet spots around the pool?
    Are there any wrinkles in the liner?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

BTW you may night see it now but after losing several thousand gallons of water you should have a pretty good idea. Water trail, and liner should give it away.

5. Back To Top    #5

Unfortunately to get a pool we had to have the yard leveled with a lot of fill. There was a small tear a few years back and it percolated down very nicely without leaving a trail. found that one once the water was all out and crawled underneath the liner to find the sunshine poking through. Guess it's a bust until the water is all gone.