Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using a secondary cover?

1. Back To Top    #1

Using a secondary cover?

The past two years I've used my Loop-Loc II mesh cover. It does a great job keeping the sunlight out, but some winters we get a lot of snow, or rain.
    I find myself draining the pool water and adding chlorine during these months.

I'm looking at purchasing one of the cheaper tarp type covers to put down before covering with the Mesh safety cover.

Is anyone aware of any problems this might cause or something i may be over looking?
    Or do you think it would work pretty well?
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Using a secondary cover?

I'd probably put the tarp over the mesh cover unless there's some compelling reason not to.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I thought about that, but at that point I think i would have to invest in water bags to keep it from blowing off. By putting it under i was thinking it would avoid any wind lift off.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I didn't think of that but you're right. I was thnking that the tarp would hold water and sag under the mesh and you'd have the same problem you have now with pverflowing the pool. Unless you could figure a way to keep the tarp pumped off.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Is there a difference between a tarp bought at the hardware store and the "winter pool cover"?
    They both seem to be made of polyethylene, and seem to have similar qualities.

Examples:
    Pool Store
    Hardware Store
    Eric

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Please don't do this. I've walked in on something like this twice. It just makes a big mess.

Putting the tarp over the mesh cover can damage the mesh cover. Remember it's not designed to hold water; you can get around this with an auto-pump but it's not advisable. (even solid safety covers have pumps to remove standing water)

Putting the tarp under the mesh cover just makes it really hard to get the tarp off without spilling all it's nasty contents into the pool. Basically once you take the safety cover off there is nothing holding the tarp in place. Once again you can get around this with an auto pump but not recommended.

You can purchase a Rule Auto pump and place it on your pool steps(if you have them) to keep the water level constant no matter how much rain you get. If you are truly worried about the pool turning green from lack of chlorine then I would try once of those black solar cover things. I forget what they are called but basically they are a black solar cover that floats under your safety cover blocking out basically all sunlight which inhibits algae growth. Also I use Algaecide 60% on safety cover pools with pretty good luck in helping the pool be not as green when opening.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

7. Back To Top    #7

I opened this past season to a partly cloudy pool due to me maintaining the chlorine. I was just hoping there was an easier way. I have a pump but since we get below freezing temps here quite often, I'd be concerned of leaving it out if there were excess water in it.

Thanks for the feedback, it was just something I was thinking about, wasn't a definite.
    Eric

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

The Rule pump has freeze protection. The instructions say you can leave it out all season even in freezing weather, but it does say that the parts will wear quicker too. I really think the problem is sunlight. Ever since I started pushing ultra-loc's(with drain panels) over the standard loop loc the pools open crystal clear with only a gray dust on the pool floor where the panels are. I'm not going to expect you to change your safety cover for this reason only. That's why I mentioned that under cover thing.( I really wish I could remember what they are called). Also when it does come time to replace your safety cover they do sell the ultra-loc with out drain panels and it comes with an auto pump; so you won't have any dilution.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp