Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Alot of sand when Backwash

1. Back To Top    #1

Alot of sand when Backwash

Just closed our pool after the first summer, I've kept the pool very clean all summer, when I closed it I noticed that I lost a lot of sand during backwash. This has been consistent all summer, in the back of my mind I thought perhaps it was because the filter simply didn't need back washing - not so sure now.
    Installation for the filter went fine - didn't notice anything wrong inside the filter, no parts broken off inside, added sand slowly with the sand guide.

BUT, one time during the first couple of weeks of my newbi-ness I turned the valve handle while the pump was still going. Could this be enough to wreck the multi-port gasket and allow sand to get through.

Or could it be that the filter medium simply doesn't require backwash? I recall reading somewhere that unless the sand requires backwash you can blow sand out of the filter (not sure if I'm grasping at straws now).
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Alot of sand when Backwash

The filter is designed for a maximum flow rate of 40 gallons per minute. Your pump will pump the water at over 80 GPM, about double the filter's designed capacity. This will cause loss of sand during backwash.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Alot of sand when Backwash

That's the premise I was going on (or my layman's version of your explanation anyways).
    Thanks for the info!
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list