Do we really need a winter cover?

May 13, 2009
Mn
This is our first pool closing. We live in MN where the pool will be frozen solid with snow on top. We don't have any trees or leaf issues to worry about (we Have two trees that could shed leaves but chances of the, reaching the pool is small.)

After reading about breakage of resin rails from winter cover weight, I'm not sure I want to cover the pool. The water already dropped to 70 degrees.

Do we really need to cover it? Is a cover to protect the liner? We will drain below the skimmer and return. My water is really bad so I welcome dilution from rain and snow.

Thanks!

The winter cover will help reduce algae from growing since it will block most of the sunlight. If it were a pool I take care of what I would do is...

Install an aquardor on the skimmer
plug off the return line (with an sp1022c plug if possible)
remove all the flexible hosing.
leave the skimmer open to drain, and remove basket (the aquador will keep the water in the pool and the skimmer housing will be dry)
remove the pump and store it indoors for the winter.
If it's a sand filter I'd remove the drain plug, pressure gauge, sight glass, and backwash hose. then set port valve to winterize/high spot
if it's an earth or cartridge filter it might be light enough to pickup and store indoors with the pump.
attach the winter cover and use a automatic cover pump to keep any rain off the cover (for example a rule automatic pump with freeze protection)
make sure the cover is laced properly (look at the instructions)
after the cover is on i also give the winch a quick spray with silicone spray.

note: vacuum the pool before closing, and backwash the filter before winterizing. balance water before closing (you can keep the chlorine slightly higher than normal)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.