Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA hard to test with TF-100 ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Lehigh Valley, PA

CYA hard to test with TF-100 ?

Hi guys. I have tried to test the CYA a few times with my TF-100 kit. I can ALWAYS see the black dot in the bottom of the tet tube and I KNOW thre is CYA in my pool.
    I have done this test after the CYA has been in there for at least a week. Furthermore I know there is CYA because the chlorine is holding. What am I doing wrong ?
    21' All Steel AGP with Resin caps, Heyward S244T Sand Filter, Heyward 1HP 2 speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA hard to test with TF-100 ?

How high do think the cyanuric acid is?

3. Back To Top    #3

Spring, TX

If he is saying the black dot does not seem to go away, would that mean it is too low?
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

With the CYA test, it can be difficult to get a precise reading, but the test is very reliable about giving a rough answer. If you can still see the black dot even when the tube is completely full then CYA is 20 or lower. This result is normally called a CYA of zero, but that doesn't mean CYA is exactly zero.

Here is a brief review of the procedure: mix equal amounts of pool water and CYA reagent (normally done in a mixing bottle with the levels to fill to already marked). Mix for at least 30 seconds, longer if the pool water is cold. Pour into the view tube until the black dot disappears.

You can cross check the CYA test result with what percentage of your FC level you lose over the course of a sunny day. With CYA around 20, most pools will lose more than 75% of their FC level over the course of a sunny day. The amount lost varies quite a bit depending on just how much sunlight reaches the pool, so this is only a rough guess. Still, if you are losing say less then 50% of your FC level in a day, something is going wrong.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School