Standard fittings on an Intex pool

Jul 24, 2009
Mission Viejo, CA
Hi all,

I recently bought a GAME 1/2hp sand filter & pump for my 12'x36" intex pool which uses the SMALL strainer and outlet and has the rubberized sleeves sewn into the liner. The filter/pump came with the right fittings and supports 1.25", 1.5" slip on hoses, and the threaded intex hoses for bigger pumps.

Right now i'm using those clear plastic 1.25" hoses that came with the pool on the nice filter/pump. I would like to switch to the higher quality 1.5" filter hoses I see at the pool store and the pump can support them, but the pool cannot.

I also purchased a vinyl vacuum head and a 25' 1.5" vacuum hose..of course I found out I need a new pole too because Intex poles are non-standard -__-

Now the question is, how do I hook up 1.5" unthreaded filter hoses to those rubberized sleeves on the outside of the pools strainer and return fittings? And how to I connect a 1.5" vacuum hose to the small strainer base hole inside of the pool?

I think i've read of some people in here cutting their liners and replacing with standard hayward fittings, but i'm not really willing to do that :-/

I think I figured it all out and placed my orders already.

For the vacuum, I needed the Intex vac adapter found on intheswim.com

For the pump hoses, I need Intex hose adapter B to go from the small rubber sleeve to 40mm Intex hose. From there I could get another adapter from intheswim.com to go from 40mm to 1.25" or 1.5" and then use standard hoses with clamps, but I chose to go with two 40mm Intex hoses using the intex threaded fittings on my GAME filter will look nicer than clamps.

Later I might decide if I want to throw the Intex plungers into the mix...stuffing those little rubber caps in the liner is annoying :-/

Sounds like you've got it figured out. I had some amalgamation of adapters & fittings last year trying to make some other off brand of pump work on ours. I wound up buying a decent pump & sand filter, then getting rubber adapters from Home Depot & a small piece of PVC to clamp onto. It's not the prettiest setup, but it works.

Hello there pomprocker. Just wanted to advise you to NOT be afraid to cut your liner. I have the same pool as you. I bought a sand filter that came with the Intex plunger valves. The existing connections restricted the flow somewhat so I cut the liner and used the new plunger valves. If I were you I would buy the Intex plunger valves and cut the liner. It took me all of 5 minutes to cut both holes and insert the new valves. Lost a few gallons of water in the process but not near as much as I thought I might. I placed a silicon baking sheet on the inside of the pool and that cut down on the water loss. I used the rubber O-ring that came with the plunger valve to trace a line on the outside of the pool (encircling the existing edges of the sewn-in rubber sleeves you mentioned). Then I used as sharp utility knife to cut along the mark. No sweat. Was I nervous? You betcha. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. Also, the plunger valves give you the option to close the valves and disconnect the hoses if you may need to.
GC

I ended up using Hose adapter B...It seems to work fine...I think I can even add the plungers to them...

Hose adapter B -> Intex 40mm hoses -> GAME adapters for Intex pools -> GAME 1/2hp sand filter.

I can even vacuum with the small strainer fitting and a 1.5" vacuum hose using the GAME vac adapter for Intex pools.

It's even got a 50' 1.5" backwash hose attached to it...you can see it's blue on the far side of the sand filter.

[attachment=0:1yzzni3h]photo.JPG[/attachment:1yzzni3h]

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    442.2 KB · Views: 426
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.