Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine Pucks

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine Pucks

If CYA is such a huge problem by using these, why do they not make a puck without the stabilizer? Is this even possible? I liked my puck dispenser since I could set and ignore, but now after being on this site, it is a nice paper weight.
    16X24 Oval Doughboy
    10,000 Gallons~
    Pentair Dynamo .75/1.0 HP pump
    16" Pooline D-400 Sand Filter w/ 6-way valve

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine Pucks

No, they don't make tablets without stabilizer. Chlorine is too unstable in its elemental form to remain a usuable solid for pool care purposes.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thats sucks Thanks for the reply
    16X24 Oval Doughboy
    10,000 Gallons~

4. Back To Top    #4

Almost makes we wonder if the tabs could be combined with salt to make them stable for use. It would be nice to be able to rotate like 3 different tabs----one with calcium, one with cya, and one with salt to be able to keep using them and balance your levels as needed. I guess that being combined with something totally inert is out of the question. Almost makes we wonder if the chemical companies do this on purpose to keep you buying even more chemicals to "fix" your problems. That wouldn't exactly be a first, now would it?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    Almost makes we wonder if the chemical companies do this on purpose to keep you buying even more chemicals to "fix" your problems. That wouldn't exactly be a first, now would it?
    I am sure that is exactly what they are doing. But, I am sure the more people that find out about the BBB method, they will be a dying breed.
    16X24 Oval Doughboy
    10,000 Gallons~

6. Back To Top    #6

It's not really a racket. If there were any other manufacturing method which would yield an unstabilized tablet, we'd have unstabilized tablets. Unfortunately, cyanurics come with the territory.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

7. Back To Top    #7

This topic was recently discussed in another thread where I responded in this post.

There are Cal-Hypo pucks available, but they require special feeders since they dissolve more quickly and they have binders in them which leave an extra residue and the pucks tend to fall apart when they get smaller.

All chlorine sources will increase the salt level in the pool since the usage/consumption of chlorine results in salt (chloride). For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added from ANY chlorine source, the salt level will increase by 8 ppm. For chlorinating liquid, bleach, and lithium hypochlorite, an extra 8 ppm salt is added upon addition.

For automation of chlorine delivery, there is The Liquidator, peristaltic pumps, and of course saltwater chlorine generators.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"