Helping a friend with his green swamp

G

So I've converted my green swamp, now I am helping a friend with his :)

23000 plaster free form with DE Filter

Did testing with my Taylor kit this morning and noticed that Calcium Hardness was 130...

Should he address this before shocking? If not, when? What should he do?

Pic from this morning:

Attachments

• greenplaster.jpg
    greenplaster.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 211
We really need to see the other test results first. It may be beneficial to begin the process with cal-hypo, or there may be an adjustment needed to pH first. If you could post all of the test results we can give a better informed opinion.

Full test results:

FC 0
CC 0
PH 6.8
TA 80
CH 130
CYA 35

I had him add two boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax to get his PH up and enough bleach to get to shock level 14ppm for round one :)

Update: After backwashing filter and adding DE he put in two boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax and four bottles of 182oz 6% bleach yesterday afternoon to get started. I haven't been over there yet but after three bleach treatments he says the pool is turning. I have not been able to get him to spring for the full FAS-DPD test kit yet, so he can only read FC up to 5ppm :-(

Here is a couple of pics... first is Day 1, second is Day 2:[attachment=1:30mejmh5]friendspool1.jpg[/attachment:30mejmh5][attachment=0:30mejmh5]friendspool2.jpg[/attachment:30mejmh5]

Attachments

• friendspool1.jpg
    friendspool1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 164
  • friendspool2.jpg
    friendspool2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 164
Its been a real battle for my friend, but he is in the home stretch now:

As the water is clearing he notcied that the plaster is real bad in a some spots, and he wanted to know what he can do to slow down the breakdown of the plaster.... I will try to get more pics.

Could this be a result of his CH being so low? Once he is done shocking and clearing the pool what can he do?

Thanks,

Attachments

• brent.jpg
    brent.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 130
My friend's pool has cleared :) I'm going to help him with the OCLT this weekend...

Here are some pics in which you should be able to see some of the plaster deterioration in the bottom of the pool. Is his low CH level contributing to this? What should his next step be?

Thank you all for the help :)

Attachments

• brent2.jpg
    brent2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 107
  • brent3.jpg
    brent3.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 107
  • brent4.jpg
    brent4.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 107

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great job helping him get that pool cleared up :goodjob: I believe the only way to keep the plaster from deteriorating further is to keep the CH at the proper levels. I know there is some products for patching plaster, but those look like pretty big spots. I've got one spot in mine where the plaster has popped off and I can see the gunite, but it hasn't got any worse since I've lived here and kept the pool chemistry at proper levels(2 years).

It was probably a combination of low CH AND low pH and possibly low TA as well that contributed to plaster dissolving, but that would tend to cause pitting in larger areas whereas the photos look more like specific areas with plaster problems. When plaster deteriorates due to bad water chemistry, it tends to feel rough almost everywhere it is exposed to the water, though some areas of poor circulation could be worse than others.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.