Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Helping a friend with his green swamp

1. Back To Top    #1

Helping a friend with his green swamp

So I've converted my green swamp, now I am helping a friend with his

23000 plaster free form with DE Filter

Did testing with my Taylor kit this morning and noticed that Calcium Hardness was 130...

Should he address this before shocking? If not, when? What should he do?

Pic from this morning:
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Helping a friend with his green swamp

We really need to see the other test results first. It may be beneficial to begin the process with cal-hypo, or there may be an adjustment needed to pH first. If you could post all of the test results we can give a better informed opinion.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

As a general rule you deal with algae first, and worry about calcium later. Of course, zea3 is correct that low CH levels do make cal-hypo much more attractive for shocking.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Full test results:

FC 0
    CC 0
    PH 6.8
    TA 80
    CH 130
    CYA 35

I had him add two boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax to get his PH up and enough bleach to get to shock level 14ppm for round one

5. Back To Top    #5

Maintaining that shock level till the closing bell in round 15 is the secret........................
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

What a cute little pool! I want one of those.

It'll be even cuter when it's sparkling. What a great friend you are! You did have him order his own test kit, right? Don't give up yours!
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

7. Back To Top    #7

Update: After backwashing filter and adding DE he put in two boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax and four bottles of 182oz 6% bleach yesterday afternoon to get started. I haven't been over there yet but after three bleach treatments he says the pool is turning. I have not been able to get him to spring for the full FAS-DPD test kit yet, so he can only read FC up to 5ppm

8. Back To Top    #8

Here is a couple of pics... first is Day 1, second is Day 2:[attachment=1:30mejmh5]friendspool1.jpg[/attachment:30mejmh5][attachment=0:30mejmh5]friendspool2.jpg[/attachment:30mejmh5]

9. Back To Top    #9

Its been a real battle for my friend, but he is in the home stretch now:

As the water is clearing he notcied that the plaster is real bad in a some spots, and he wanted to know what he can do to slow down the breakdown of the plaster.... I will try to get more pics.

Could this be a result of his CH being so low? Once he is done shocking and clearing the pool what can he do?

Thanks,

10. Back To Top    #10

My friend's pool has cleared I'm going to help him with the OCLT this weekend...

Here are some pics in which you should be able to see some of the plaster deterioration in the bottom of the pool. Is his low CH level contributing to this? What should his next step be?

Thank you all for the help

11. Back To Top    #11

Great job helping him get that pool cleared up I believe the only way to keep the plaster from deteriorating further is to keep the CH at the proper levels. I know there is some products for patching plaster, but those look like pretty big spots. I've got one spot in mine where the plaster has popped off and I can see the gunite, but it hasn't got any worse since I've lived here and kept the pool chemistry at proper levels(2 years).
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

12. Back To Top    #12

It was probably a combination of low CH AND low pH and possibly low TA as well that contributed to plaster dissolving, but that would tend to cause pitting in larger areas whereas the photos look more like specific areas with plaster problems. When plaster deteriorates due to bad water chemistry, it tends to feel rough almost everywhere it is exposed to the water, though some areas of poor circulation could be worse than others.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

13. Back To Top    #13

What is the recommended method for getting his CH up to normal levels? Test results before shocking showed CH at 130...

14. Back To Top    #14

calcium chloride/Deicer pellets such as: Qik Joe 40 Lb Ice Melt Pellets Calcium Chloride
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida