repair estimate opinions and observations please!

midtngal

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 26, 2007
Nashville, TN
Well, I have gotten an estimate to repair the rusted wall as well as the smaller areas around the rest of the pool. It will be sanded and painted with a rustoleum-type paint and that is acceptable to Fox Pool headquarters who are willing to "work" with me on the repair. There is a difference in opinion on the next step, which is to spray the walls with foam. Fox won't pay for this and the pool builder says that is the norm in this type of situation. I'm tending to agree with him in that this will keep this from happening again. Fox says there's no way to get the foam smooth therefore it causes problems. It's a $250 difference so it's not that big a deal. I have no problem paying that...just wondering what the consensus is here.....

I haven't really gotten a straight answer on whether the new liner (that is necessary) is something that Fox will cover. I have explained that I think it ought to be covered since it was the rust that put the hole in the liner. The PB is supposedly giving them a deal that if they will provide the liner, he will only charge $1200 for the installation. Is that a fair price for installation?

So, this could cost me as little as $250 for the foam wall and Fox pays the rest (service calls, liner, wall treatment and installation) or as much as $3600 if they don't cover any of it. Does $3600 sound like a fair estimate to repair all this damage, including a liner and installation? (the original post on this is here - http://www.troublefreepool.com/scre...of-steel-way-out-in-inground-pool-t36186.html)

A few more pics. Mostly what the whole pool looks like except for the one panel.
DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

This is where I thought the screw was coming out. Good thing I didn't pull this out on my own!
DSC_0098.jpg

So.....opinions please!

TIA......Karen (who has SADD already!) :lol:

Your first two pictures show normal discoloration, nothing unusual. Only the third picture looks like serious rust.

Foam is optional. I recommend it, but I don't see any reason they should pay for it.

$1200/$3600 is very good for around here. However, I am not familiar with prices around Nashville.

Thanks Jason! Yeah, I kinda think the foam would be preferable and have no problem paying for it myself. Fox's argument is that what happens if water gets behind the liner again or comes from behind, then you're back to the same problem. Well, HELLO....you're back there if you don't do it too! And, I really thought this was going to be a lot more to fix so if I have to take on the full bill then I don't really feel like I'm being taken for a ride.

Thanks for your input! :goodjob:

Gently sand it first. If it needs a piece of steel added due to weakness, I would weld it in place, grind the weld smooth and apply wall foam. The wall foam will hide the patch.

Wall foam comes on a roll. A special spray on adhesive is sprayed in several rows. The foam is set in place just under the liner track and smoothed. The use of a little extra in tight turns is suggested, It isn't that hard to apply if the crew has any brains leading them.

If there is water behind the wall, there isn't much you can do except to divert it at the source.

Scott

Thanks Scott. I'm fairly confident in these guys. I can't say I've had them do any work before but they sure can't be any worse than the original PB! :lol: That was another concern of the Fox folks...that the foam wouldn't be smooth. I mean really....does it matter at this point?? It's definitely going to be smoother than the rust! This PB tells me that this is standard procedure in this kind of repair and he's really surprised that the Fox people have a problem with it. To me that is such a minimal cost for such a great benefit, but as he has been so inclined to point out to me, he doesn't "have" to work with me on this...it's their choice.

So, as I have told him and the PB, I will send him the estimate and he can decide what to contribute and what not to. I will just have to pick up the rest. Good thing I'm saving so much on chemicals year in and year out!

Thanks a bunch for your input!

Karen

Re: repair estimate opinions and observations please! *UPDAT

Thought I'd bring ya'll up-to-date on this issue....... The panels have all been grinded, sanded and sprayed with galvanizing compound. They also installed the foam. I'm not sure what this Fox Pool guy's issue was because it was on a roll! How was it going to not be smooth! :roll: We have just finished with the "negotiations" on the liner. He is going to sell me the exact same liner at a discounted rate of $760 plus the cost of freight, $90. The PB is discounting the installation for me, since Fox wouldn't cover it or the liner. All told, it will be $1825 out of pocket for me. It could have been worse at $3600 but it also should have been a lot less in my opinion....like ZERO. A 4-year-old pool's walls should not be rusting and breaking through a liner. If it were due to the original PB being such an idiot and side-stepping some installation guidelines, well that to me is something he should take up with him and make him pay back.

But...I will be glad to have this all done and behind me so hopefully I will be trouble-free for many years to come! :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.