Chlorine Question

Gardog

Feb 17, 2008
I am starting to open my pool & I tested my chlorine. The color is orange & it looks to be way off the charts on the high side. I am guessing the ppm is 10 or more. The color is not even close to the color that the test kit shows that it should be after putting in the drops. My ph is close to 7.2
Do I need to reduce my chlorine level? If so, how do I do this?
I'm very new to this & really don't understand all the chemistry involved.

Welcome to the forum. The chlorine is naturally consumed by sunlight and organics in your pool.....it will come down on it's own. It may take a few days but it will come down. You need to figure out how you got it so high and be sure not to do it that same way.

The best way to get started learning more about your pool water chemistry is to read the "Stickies: section. It will be a little intimidating at first but, if you "stick" with it, it will make some sense. The more times you read and reread, the more it makes sense.

One of the first things that many do not understand (which you just learned) is that chlorine is a consumable item and will need to be replenished constantly. I know that's not your problem now but be aware that you will need to add chlorine all summer or your pool will turn green.

On a very good note, your pH is perfect.

Keep reading and asking questions.....you'll have clear pool water all summer.

Thanx for the quick response. I have read some of the sticky's & you are right. It is overwhelming.
Will this high chlorine level make my water cloudy? I have had algea & I think I have gotten rid of it so I put some flok in, ran the pump for 1 hour, shut it down & let it sit overnight. I vaccumed today & the water is still cloudy. Do you think some of the flok is still in the water or what?

Floc treatments don't always catch the smaller particles. The simplest thing to do is to run the pump/filter 24/7 for the next week and backwash/clean the filter as needed. As long as the algae is really dead that will take care of it. If you are in a huge hurry you might try a clarifier, which is better at small particles, but it costs more and doesn't always work.

High chlorine levels are not usually a problem and chlorine won't cause cloudiness. The cloudiness is simply bits of dead algae. It can take the filter a number of days to filter them all out. Sometimes you can get it out with a floc treatment as you describe, but it doesn't always get everything.

In the long run it would be much better if you have a better chlorine test that could tell you the actual level. I highly recommend the TF Test Kit, see the link in my signature. It is possible to get the chlorine too high, though at those levels the standard test tends to look red rather than orange.

Gardog,

Your response indicates you've been treating your pool on the advice from a pool store. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. That said, the advice you get off this forum may conflict somewhat with the pool store advice. There's a couple of reasons for that but my point is that you'll have to keep reading and learning or this conflicting advice (none of us are really big fans of flocculant, for example) will make it really difficult for you to make good decisions.

As you continue to read and learn, I hope you'll buy your own test kit. I didn't mention that at first because, obviously, I sell one and idn't want you to think that's my sole reason for responding. The Taylor K-2006 kit or mine are both good kits and you'll get your money's worth from them. Testing your own water with a GOOD test kit will be like an awakening for you and your pool.

Welcome to TFP Gardog :)

Just wanted to say that the best investment we made in our pool was a good test kit. One reason I think that Dave's (duraleigh) kit is best is that it comes with his help, always here to walk us through any problems.

Spring of 2006 we bought the PoolForum test kit from PoolDoc. It is/was a good kit, too, imho. I will replace it soon with Dave's kit. There is nothing like customer service :wink:

Good luck with your pool!

Joyce

Thanx a ton guys for the help. I am going to order the test kit. I currently use the 6 way kit from Wal Mart. I'm planning to have the pool ready first of March.
I am starting to use the BBB method, so hopefully It'll be ready soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.