Seal Skimmer for winter (best method?)

KayCee

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2010
Alabama
Each year when we winterize our pool, we change out the skimmer faceplate and put the Aquaseal lid on it. Changing the skimmer faceplate is a pretty arduous task (and cannot be done by one person) to do with water in the pool and draining the water would defeat the purpose. I have looked on the internet for an Aquaseal type product that has a skimmer weir flap so that once installed for the winter close, we would not have to change the skimmer faceplate for each opening and closing of the pool. I have not been able to find anything like this. Does anyone know if this type of product exists? I found the RovaSeal product on the internet; but it appears to be fairly new and the reviews (very few of them) seem to be 50/50 as to whether this product even works. I thought I'd put the question out to the experts her on TFP. Any advice / suggestions are appreciated. :)

I think this is the RovaSeal product. I think this is what I'm going to try just because I couldn't find any other options. When I looked for reviews, there weren't very many and about half of them said it leaked or failed. I know the Aquadoor product works because we have used it for several winters. But my husband doesn't want to change the skimmer face plate again (I don't like this process either).

Gravel7 said:
Would this help? This winter will be my first time closing a pool and I was considering this.....

http://www.doheny.com/poolsupplies/Skim ... -9790.html

I used this product last season and it leaked :( . Maybe it was just a fluke, but no matter what I did there was a constant steady drip that by spring the water level fell down to the lower part of the skimmer opening.

dmanb2b said:
Gravel7 said:
Would this help? This winter will be my first time closing a pool and I was considering this.....

http://www.doheny.com/poolsupplies/Skim ... -9790.html

I used this product last season and it leaked :( . Maybe it was just a fluke, but no matter what I did there was a constant steady drip that by spring the water level fell down to the lower part of the skimmer opening.

Thanks for the headsup! I may as well just drain it to below the skimmer.............

Last year I just lowered the water to below the skimmer, and disconnected my pump and filter and took them inside. I have no hard piping just flex hose. I had a solid cover on the pool last year so the water never got above the skimmer. This year Im planning on going with http://www.blueoceanpools.com/product_i ... i/16/pi/37 so the water will probably filter through the cover and out the skimmer. Is this bad? Should I plug up my skimmer?

I used one of those plugs last year. Drained pool to just below skimmer and by the time spring came it had filled nearly to overflowing (mesh-type winter cover). So, mine didn't leak (but I'll find out this year if it will do as well again) but I may have gotten lucky. I'll find out soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.