Installing Pool Light

Jul 11, 2008
Flintstone, GA USA
I had someone remove my SwimQuip light so they could attempt to install another brand light. The new one would not fit and they took my light and I can't get it back. I bought another SwimQuip identical light. I want to install it in the niche that is still in my pool. The niche is an original SwimQuip niche.

Quetion: The light has a 25 ft. cord which runs through the tubing that goes from the niche to the electrical connection box which is under my diving board. The connection box under the board has some black rubbery stuff that sealed around the wire where it came into the connection box. The nich is always full of water as I understand it. Is the tubing that goes to the electrical connection box under the board also full of water, or is the wire sealed with something where the wire comes out of the niche? My pool is not drained down below the niche but completely full of water at this time.

Can someone please enlighten me on the particulars concerning whether the light cord is in water or not, I know water covers the cord that is coiled around the light in the niche but that is about all technical info.l I understand.

Thanks

Tom

That is what I thought since the wire is coiled around the light and the light is encased in water then the water should not hurt the wire in the tubing. This makes sense. I just saw that the tubing had black sealing compound on the terminting end at the junction box which made me wonder if the end of the tubing where it leaves the niche should be sealed as well in order to keep the water out of the tubing. Looks like it would not matter if it has water in the tubing since the rest of the wire is in water around the light fixture.

I just read somewhere in the instructions (I thought) that said if PVC was used for the tubing then it had to have a sealed fitting on the entrance to the tubing. I have reread it and so far can't find where it states that. Maybe I am dreaming.
Tom

It is my understanding that the conduit should be sealed at the niche to prevent a possible leak along the conduit line.

Having said that I wouldn't worry overmuch about it. Just try to seal it up after you are done pulling the new cable.

With luck you won't have conduit issues. I ran into one that was crushed awhile back trying to help out out a coworker. Not fun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.