Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winter mesh cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Winter mesh cover

I've about decided to change to a micro mesh cover this winter. I've also considered using a winterizing skimmer cover to prevent having to replace the salt and borax each spring. BUT...I don't want to overflow the pool from winter rain. My thought is to drill a small hole at the normal water line and disconnect the skimmer line to the pump. I can either plug the return, or close the ball valve right behind it. We don't get a lot of really cold weather...but it doesn't take much to freeze and break stuff. If I were to leave a solar cover under the mesh, would the rain drain off to the skimmer before it diluted the pool? TFP has made pool maintenance so easy and simple....I've gotten lazy about anything to do with the pool!
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Winter mesh cover

why not just use a regular cover with an automatic cover pump (example Rule)

I like the aquadors as winterizing plates as the older style metal ones require you to remove screws every year which end up stripping out.

I tried using those new "skimmer plug" things, but I couldn't get them to fit a standard Hayward skimmer. So as for right now I'm still preferring the aquadors.

you don't have to worry about dilution then.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

The problem with a regular cover...which I've used..is that when they get a hole the pool water gets pumped out with the rain. Then I have to replace the salt, borax and cya. As well as the water....which requires softened water.
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

If your pool is surrounded entirely by a deck you can you a safety cover too.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp