Saltwater Pool - high pH

Jun 3, 2011
Hey Guys-

My pool typically runs towards the high end of the pH scale, balancing it below 7.8 can be somewhat tedious. If I let it go for over a week, it's almost 100% certain that the pH will be 8.0+. My question is this: is this normal for a 3+ year old salt water pool to constantly have high pH (I'm using a Jandy AquaPure 1400) system? All of my #s are in their acceptable ranges so I feel as though this is what I'll always be dealing with.

Because of the tendency of my pH to rise, I will have to monitor it throughout the winter as well. Is there any particular method of distributing acid to a closed pool w/out circulation? My assumption is to add it to a big bucket of water and pour through my mesh cover, then immediately dose the area with additional water.

Thanks for your help.

-Z

My pool is only 9 months old and I'm still adding MA, but it's down to about 24 oz. every two days--sometimes less. I've been told here to try to get TA down to the 50-60 range and that should slow/stop the pH rise. I'm having a hard time keeping it that low because of the SE Texas drought (my fill water is TA 250). Also, if you have any water features they could be causing the rise in pH. All that said, I think it's normal for SWG pools to require at least some MA for the life of the pool.

Thanks, seems like what I'm experiencing as well. I'm not using my waterfall and my TA was 110ppm at my last test, I'll test it again tonight...I thought adding acid should also lower that as well but I don't think it is.

ganderking said:
Thanks, seems like what I'm experiencing as well. I'm not using my waterfall and my TA was 110ppm at my last test, I'll test it again tonight...I thought adding acid should also lower that as well but I don't think it is.

Adding acid only temporarily lowers the TA. Read the Pool School article on Lowering Total Alkalinity
for guidance on getting yours lower.

Is this a vinyl pool? Anyway, you shouldn't have to worry about PH rise during the winter months (if you close your pool entirely that is) because the PH rise in a salt water pool is usually a byproduct of the manner in which the SWG produces chlorine. If your pool is closed and the SWG is off, the PH shouldn't be rising. Of course, your PH rise might be something else, but I'm thinking it's the SWG in your case.

A couple things that REALLY helped with my PH rise (which was very similar to yours until I found this forum) was lowering the TA to 80 (or even 70) and adding borates to the pool. Since doing both, my PH has locked in at 7.6, with almost no acid needed.

JohnT said:
ganderking said:

Adding acid only temporarily lowers the TA. Read the Pool School article on Lowering Total Alkalinity
for guidance on getting yours lower.

Are you sure about this? I thought the acid lowered the PH and the TA, then the PH could be slowly brought up by aeration only, leaving the TA at whatever level it lowered to.

Using chemicals to bring back up the PH instead of aeration - that would lead to the TA rising.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.