Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Saltwater Pool - high pH

1. Back To Top    #1

Saltwater Pool - high pH

Hey Guys-

My pool typically runs towards the high end of the pH scale, balancing it below 7.8 can be somewhat tedious. If I let it go for over a week, it's almost 100% certain that the pH will be 8.0+. My question is this: is this normal for a 3+ year old salt water pool to constantly have high pH (I'm using a Jandy AquaPure 1400) system? All of my #s are in their acceptable ranges so I feel as though this is what I'll always be dealing with.

Because of the tendency of my pH to rise, I will have to monitor it throughout the winter as well. Is there any particular method of distributing acid to a closed pool w/out circulation? My assumption is to add it to a big bucket of water and pour through my mesh cover, then immediately dose the area with additional water.

Thanks for your help.

-Z
    30k gallon salt water pool, Jandy Stealth 2.5HP pump, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG, Jandy Lite 400k BTU heater, Polaris 360

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Saltwater Pool - high pH

My pool is only 9 months old and I'm still adding MA, but it's down to about 24 oz. every two days--sometimes less. I've been told here to try to get TA down to the 50-60 range and that should slow/stop the pH rise. I'm having a hard time keeping it that low because of the SE Texas drought (my fill water is TA 250). Also, if you have any water features they could be causing the rise in pH. All that said, I think it's normal for SWG pools to require at least some MA for the life of the pool.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, seems like what I'm experiencing as well. I'm not using my waterfall and my TA was 110ppm at my last test, I'll test it again tonight...I thought adding acid should also lower that as well but I don't think it is.
    30k gallon salt water pool, Jandy Stealth 2.5HP pump, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG, Jandy Lite 400k BTU heater, Polaris 360

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ganderking
    Thanks, seems like what I'm experiencing as well. I'm not using my waterfall and my TA was 110ppm at my last test, I'll test it again tonight...I thought adding acid should also lower that as well but I don't think it is.
    Adding acid only temporarily lowers the TA. Read the Pool School article on Lowering Total Alkalinity
    for guidance on getting yours lower.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Is this a vinyl pool? Anyway, you shouldn't have to worry about PH rise during the winter months (if you close your pool entirely that is) because the PH rise in a salt water pool is usually a byproduct of the manner in which the SWG produces chlorine. If your pool is closed and the SWG is off, the PH shouldn't be rising. Of course, your PH rise might be something else, but I'm thinking it's the SWG in your case.

A couple things that REALLY helped with my PH rise (which was very similar to yours until I found this forum) was lowering the TA to 80 (or even 70) and adding borates to the pool. Since doing both, my PH has locked in at 7.6, with almost no acid needed.
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star VS900 (1.85 HP) pump, Hayward C3030 cartridge filter
    Nine Techno Solis 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Quote Originally Posted by ganderking
    Adding acid only temporarily lowers the TA. Read the Pool School article on Lowering Total Alkalinity
    for guidance on getting yours lower.
    Are you sure about this? I thought the acid lowered the PH and the TA, then the PH could be slowly brought up by aeration only, leaving the TA at whatever level it lowered to.

Using chemicals to bring back up the PH instead of aeration - that would lead to the TA rising.
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star VS900 (1.85 HP) pump, Hayward C3030 cartridge filter
    Nine Techno Solis 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre

7. Back To Top    #7

All of my #s are in their acceptable ranges
    Who's acceptable ranges?
    It would be a lot better if you'd post a full set of test results and how you got them. The 'numbers' we recommend, differ significantly from the numbers the 'industry' recommends.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit