Advice on re-plumbing for new heater

May 5, 2011
Hello

I am looking for a little advice on plumbing up my new heater, it is a hayward H400FND, it replaced an older H400HDL. So as you can see by the picture the manifold spacing is wider on the new heater. I'm hoping that two 90 PVC elbows will do the job for for sides. I will buy a bunch of elbows and what not and test fit everything first. My main question is, do I need to have the loop in my system with the diverter valve? Any recommendations on how to plumb this? this is my first attempt at pool plumbing, I have only done plumbing for fish tanks before.

Thank you

Attachments

• SAM_2348.JPG
    SAM_2348.JPG
    449.7 KB · Views: 111
  • SAM_2349.JPG
    SAM_2349.JPG
    298.3 KB · Views: 111
With careful use of 45 degree fittings you can probably get the number of fittings down to one 45 and one 90 on each side. Having fewer fittings is better, but it isn't a disaster or anything if you need to use an extra fitting or two.

The loop and valve are a heater bypass. Unless your pump is very very large, you don't really need a bypass. A bypass like that one can be used to improve the efficiency of the plumbing when the heater is going to be turned off for a while. While added efficiency is nice, it is hardly essential.

Get rid of the bypass. Cut the loop off a foot or so above the ground.
If you want to, use flex PVC and eliminate the 45's and 90's all together. Dont let anybody tell you flex wont work. It will. Somebody might tell you the water's too hot coming out of the heater. Don't believe them. I've seen a lot of heaters plumbed with flex like that, including mine. Works just fine.

One thing I would suggest is to use a fireman's switch if you're going to use a timer for the pump. The fireman's switch will shut off the heater before the pump to allow the heater to cool down before shutting off the pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.