Frustrated

sirena

Jul 15, 2011
I feel like I've been fighting a loosing battle all summer long. It's been one thing after another: several storms including one big huboob, then the pump burnt out, excessive heat & 16hrs of direct sunshine for months on end.

The huboob left the pool in the worse mess ever then it sat for two weeks while the motor was being repaired. I finally got the water clear but the algae was like a velvet blanket on the plaster. Shocking and all the sweeping didn't even make a dent in it. So over three weekends I put on my scuba and physically scrubbed it with small wire brush and my PoolCleaner vacuumed it up. Finally, a clear, clean pool... for 2 days... and the water is green, again. I shocked it with FC at 24 for a couple days and the water went from green to cloudy. I've been testing twice a day and continue to shock bringing FC to 16-18 depending on what the Pool Calculator says but the water remains cloudy. It's been 8 days and there is does not appear to be any improvement.

Financially, I am unable to continue doing what I've been doing for much long. $100 for 6% bleach/10% liquid chlorine just this week alone.

Current levels are: FC 11.5 CC 0; pH 7.6; TA 125; CH 300; CYA 40; Temp 82.

Pool Calculator says to add 165 oz of 10% which I'm about to do now.

What am I missing?

Have you performed the overnight chlorine loss test?

It sounds like you've read pool school, but re-read the article on shocking and do exactly what it says. You must dedicate an entire day if not the entire weekend to staying on top of it every hour, etc. so that you can get ahead of the algae growth. It sounds like right now you've been at best able to get just a bit ahead of it.

Hopefully one of the experts will weigh in here soon to give you some more advice.

sirena said:
Current levels are: FC 11.5 CC 0; pH 7.6; TA 125; CH 300; CYA 40; Temp 82.

Pool Calculator says to add 165 oz of 10% which I'm about to do now.

What am I missing?
Sounds like it has been a tough season for your pool :(
If you haven't already, reread the shocking procedure (link in my sig). To most effectively kill organics do not let your FC drop below the minimum shock level for your level of CYA. I get a minimum shock level of 15 ppm for 40 ppm CYA from poolcalculator....so being at 11.5 is not shocking. You may have to dose more often during the day, or overshoot your FC more if you can't. Unfortunately, 8 days or longer is not uncommon when shocking. As carlscan suggested, you can do a OCLT to see where you are, but remember you are not done with shocking process until you meet all three criteria (see my signature). Keep us updated, we are here to help!

I went through the same thing in July. My pool turned cloudy with algae and it took 64 gallons of 6% chlorine over a six day period before the over night chlorine loss was zero. Then it was several more days before the water finally cleared up. I was so frustrated about half way through the process I considered pumping all the water out and starting over.

So like the others have said - hang in there and keep the chlorine up. It may take awhile but it will work.

Thanks everyone!
Yes, it's been a tough season. Not something I bargained for when I bought the place.
It's Friday so, will do an OCLT tonight and will have the w/e to do what is necessary.
Will keep you all posted.
Thanks again!

It will work just keep the FC from falling below 15 as best you can. Test as often as you can over the weekend. Overshoot the 15ppm to try to compansate for what may be used up. I would do an OCLT tonight to see where you are at right now. Post the results. You have most likely made a good dent in it so I think you can't afford to stop now. It will be worth it!

Unfortunately when you drop below shock level, it's like taking one step forward and half a step back. The algae is winning, not you and your chlorine.

Above shock level is your best bet if you can't test and re-dose regularly. If you can do that however, give that hourly to bi-hourly method a day or so and you should see some big results. It's the first few days of shocking that loses the most chlorine, but once you get over the hump the losses will be far less as you maintain it.

Sirena, it's all been said previously, but I just wanted to chime in. Checking it twice a day while shocking is not going to get it done. When I had to shock recently I was testing every hour and then when I went to bed I really gave it an extra dose of bleach to guarantee that it wouldn't dip below shock level.

Then, even after passing the OCLT I continued to shock for an extra day and a half just for my own peace of mind. I had to show the wife how to do the FC/CC test and she helped when I had to go to work. It was time consuming and tedious, yes...but it was so worth it when it was complete and we had claimed back our pool from the evil algae.

Yes, it can get expensive sometimes when shocking, but would you rather give up at this point and literally thrown all of that previous bleach/money down the drain? You're close, so if at all financially possible keep it up. Once you are done, it will be easy on your pocketbook. I don't even spend $2/day on my pool at this point because I have tamed the beast (for now!).

Good luck! Please keep checking in and give us updates. Tons of people around here are interested in your battle. You can do this!

Thanks for the cheer!

Exactly what I said to a colleague yesterday... I have too much invested not continue despite it being the end of season and most people are thinking about closing their pool. And, if there is one thing I'm not, it's a quitter.

When I got home from work last night, there was a marked improvement in water clarity. I can actually see the drain now; OCLT .5; CC has been 0 all along.

Do I continue to keep FC at shock level or let it come down to maintenance level? The latter, of course, could just be a matter of hours in this AZ sunshine.

I really appreciate everyone's input and support!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Doesn't sound like you've passed all 3 criteria. Marked improvement is not the same as crystal clear. Keep going some more. You're almost there!

1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

I answered my own question :) - already added chlorine to bring the FC back up to shock level.

I run the filter all the time over the w/e (Fri 8 pm - Mon 1 pm). Week days 12 hours during just off peak.

You have fought long and hard to get where you are now. You are now in the exploitation phase of the war. This you your chance to kill the enemy. Accept nothing less than a total surrender. Victory is near!

sirena said:
I answered my own question :) - already added chlorine to bring the FC back up to shock level.

I run the filter all the time over the w/e (Fri 8 pm - Mon 1 pm). Week days 12 hours during just off peak.

To clarify, are you saying that you're not running the filter 24/7 while shocking?

If you're still on the above schedule, that could be a significant factor in the amount of time it's taking to clear it. When shocking, always run the filter full time.

Correct! I only run it during off peak times... I just can't afford to run it 24/7 summer or winter... so, I choose to run it as much as I can during off peak times! Peak times here in AZ are extortionate and I'm on a very, very limited budget. This summer has been a learning curve, plus excessive conditions... hopefully, I will have things under control by the time next summer gets here, where I won't have to be in 'shock' mode all summer long. Plus, any incidental times like the 'huboob' this year, I will be able to quickly get things back under control.

sirena said:
Correct! I only run it during off peak times... I just can't afford to run it 24/7 summer or winter... so, I choose to run it as much as I can during off peak times! Peak times here in AZ are extortionate and I'm on a very, very limited budget. This summer has been a learning curve, plus excessive conditions... hopefully, I will have things under control by the time next summer gets here, where I won't have to be in 'shock' mode all summer long. Plus, any incidental times like the 'huboob' this year, I will be able to quickly get things back under control.

This is OK and completely understand not wanting to pay higher electrical rate, but cutting filtering time in half, while shocking, will slow the process of clearing the water. This is likely why it's taking a longer amount of time to clear

Good news and bad news!

Good news is... the water is crystal clear; OCLT 0, CC 0.

Bad news is... there are still spots of algae here and there.

I don't know what kind of algae this is, just know that it does not come of with sweeping. Should I try shocking for mustard algae?

Current levels: FC 17; pH 7.8; TA 125; CH 300; CYA 50; Temp 80.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.