NEW GRIDS - SAME HIGH STARTING PRESSURE

May 24, 2011
Just installed all brand new 7 full and 1 half DE grids. They replace the original grids that were 7 years old. Several had broken tips that went in to the manifold, and, one or two had damaged plastic grids. But, the PSI starting pressure is the exact same, about 9 PSI, as the old! Years ago, when my DE filter was new, my starting PSI was barely above 0, about 1 PSI. I was expected brand new grids to drop me back close to 1 PSI for starting pressure.

I don't seem to have a blockage or a leak. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

By the way... I replaced the grids, in a continuing saga to determine why my vacuum pressure is much lower than it used to be. I have tried half a dozen things, including replacing the grids. But I have not tried vacuuming since I just replaced the grids a few hours ago, but it seems as if my starting PSI is the same, my vac pressure will not improve. Thanks.

9 psi is a little high for that pump and filter combo. How many returns, and do they have directional eyeballs.

It could be a bad gauge. Does the gauge go to zero when the pump is off?

7 psi sounds about right. However, if you're having trouble getting suction, then you might have clogged suction lines. Are you getting good pressure from the returns, or does it seem weak?

Everything sounds like it is working correctly. If you are having trouble getting good suction when vacuuming, then the vacuum hose might be clogged, or the vacuum hose might have an air leak.

I wouldn't send any more plastic or other things through the suction lines as it might result in a clog.

When vacuuming, you should be using a vac-plate that goes over the skimmer basket so that debris does not go into the basket.

Are you getting any air in the pump basket during normal operation or during vacuuming?

Vac hose works great. In fact, this spring, I bought a brand new hose and tried it. Same result - low vac pressure. I do have a skimmer plate for the skimmer basket, but that actually creates the seal with the skimmer - leaves are sucked and held in the skimmer basket, not the pump basket.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Try vacuuming now to see if you're getting good suction. Note that the swivel side of the hose goes on the vacuum head. The swivel side of the hose is not airtight, so it will leak air if it is connected to the vac-plate.

If you're losing suction when vacuuming, it could be an air leak that only leaks when under the extra suction created by vacuuming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.