Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How often to drain a pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

How often to drain a pool?

Is it necessary to completely drain your pool every few years? I've been told that around here (North Texas) we should drain and refill every 5 years or so. Is this another "old wives tale", or is it legit?
    30,000 gal in-ground, Stonescapes Tahoe Blue, DE filter, Pentair WFE-30 filter pump, Saltwater Generated Chlorine.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: How often to drain a pool?

Old wives tale...disregard it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Of course if you have hard fill water like I do, eventually the CH will raise so high that it might be necessary to replace at least some of the water.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

High CYA and high CH levels are the two reasons to do a lot of water replacement. If those problems never come up, there is no reason to ever change the water. If you do have problems with CYA and/or CH you have the choice between replacing water or getting a reverse osmosis treatment.

In any case, there is certainly no reason to replace water on a schedule. Only replace water if there is a specific reason why you need to do so.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    Of course if you have hard fill water like I do, eventually the CH will raise so high that it might be necessary to replace at least some of the water.
    Just to add that continued use of stabilized chlorine will eventually raise CYA or CH levels too high as well. If you stick with liquid chlorine or a SWG as we would advise here, then yes an old wives tale unless, as mas985 pointed out, you have high CH (aka "Hard") fill water.

or, what Jason said
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the info! We do have hard water here in our local supply, but my pool CH level is usually around 280.
    30,000 gal in-ground, Stonescapes Tahoe Blue, DE filter, Pentair WFE-30 filter pump, Saltwater Generated Chlorine.

7. Back To Top    #7

check your CYA, that sucker seems to go up after years. That is the problem i have with my pool. Will require some drain and fill.
    18K in-ground pool, Concrete, DE Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by vickp85
    check your CYA, that sucker seems to go up after years. That is the problem i have with my pool. Will require some drain and fill.
    Read post #5 of this thread.

VickP85: Welcome to TFP! Now go to pool school - link on upper right of every page
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by TXFlyGuy
    Thanks for the info! We do have hard water here in our local supply, but my pool CH level is usually around 280.
    Sounds like you CH is fine. Are you having any trouble with your pool chemistry...or just checking out this old wives tale? Let us know , we are here to help.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.