South Arkansas - To Close or Not to Close

alanrmeadows

LifeTime Supporter
May 5, 2010
I live in South Arkansas and have a 17,500 gallon inground fiberglass pool. I'm considering not putting a cover on the pool because it's such a hassle pumping water off the cover, removing leaves, etc. etc. We also have new landscaping around the pool and it would be nice to enjoy the view of sparkling water and new landscaping rather than a nasty pool cover.

I guess my questions are 1) do I have to take any precautions to avoid freezing issues? Do I have to keep my pump circulating at all times to avoid freezing issues? I don't have any type of thermostat that starts the pump when the water temp. drops to a certain level. 2) How much effort is required to keep the water in balance during the cooler months? If I'm going to have to adjust the water every couple of days, it may be too much of a hassle to keep it open. If I can check once a week for chlorine and pH, I can handle that.

I look forward to your responses.

Once that water temp hits about 50...........everything chemically speaking goes into slow motion as long as you keep it leaf and debris free. You can easily test once a week without anything unusual or out of the ordinary happening to the pool.
Just run the pump when the freeze warnings are in effect and you'll be good to go. Keeping ice and snow and freezing rain off the equipment is a big help too. I'm good after the oaks stop shedding-------but a major pain up until then!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.