Pool Fence Question

Sep 1, 2011
We are getting ready to have a pool installed and currently have a split rail fence with wire mesh. It is 51 inches tall, does anyone have a split rail and did it meet the requirements (our county/state follows the BOCA National Building Code). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jamie1983 said:
We are getting ready to have a pool installed and currently have a split rail fence with wire mesh. It is 51 inches tall, does anyone have a split rail and did it meet the requirements (our county/state follows the BOCA National Building Code). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The area I'm in (N. Kentucky) requires a minimum 48" high fence with self-closing, self-locking gates and any opening must be less than 1.5" square. Your fence, assuming the wire mesh isn't a huge, open grid, would meet code for our area.

We have a split rail fence with wire mesh on the outside and it meets our code, but as they say, it all depends on your code/inspector. We really like the looks of it and it is definitely not easy to climb for most people. My teenage son, on the other hand, leaps it in a single bound, but then he could do that for almost any fence. :super:

jamie1983 said:
From what I am reading the fence meets code, I was just hoping someone that currently has the same type of fence could confirm this.
You really need to get someone from your inspector's office to officially confirm it, no matter what anyone on an internet forum (no matter how honest and reliable :cool: ) tells you. Otherwise, you don't have a leg to stand on if the worst happens. Not doing so is foolish.

They have to come out and inspect the fence before we can fill the pool, so we will have a fence that meets code. Was just trying to get an idea if I needed to start budgeting a few thousand for a new fence or not ahead of time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we have no issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jamie1983 said:
They have to come out and inspect the fence before we can fill the pool, so we will have a fence that meets code. Was just trying to get an idea if I needed to start budgeting a few thousand for a new fence or not ahead of time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we have no issues.
Glad to hear it :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.