Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Fence Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Fence Question

We are getting ready to have a pool installed and currently have a split rail fence with wire mesh. It is 51 inches tall, does anyone have a split rail and did it meet the requirements (our county/state follows the BOCA National Building Code). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    15k freeform shotcrete sport pool 3.5-5-4, hayward swimclear c4030, 1.5hp hayward Northstar pump, polaris 280 with hayward booster, hayward turbo cell swg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Fence Question

That's a question you're going to have to ask your local inspector. It depends on the mesh and whether the mesh is on the inside or outside the fence.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The key question is "is it climbable?" If a kid could easily climb it, it probably will not meet code. Your inspector is the final word, as Bama said.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

We are having the mesh moved to the outside of the fence, from what I can tell that is the only issue. I was trying to see if anyone else currently had split rail and if they had any issues.
    15k freeform shotcrete sport pool 3.5-5-4, hayward swimclear c4030, 1.5hp hayward Northstar pump, polaris 280 with hayward booster, hayward turbo cell swg

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jamie1983
    We are getting ready to have a pool installed and currently have a split rail fence with wire mesh. It is 51 inches tall, does anyone have a split rail and did it meet the requirements (our county/state follows the BOCA National Building Code). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    The area I'm in (N. Kentucky) requires a minimum 48" high fence with self-closing, self-locking gates and any opening must be less than 1.5" square. Your fence, assuming the wire mesh isn't a huge, open grid, would meet code for our area.

6. Back To Top    #6

From what I am reading the fence meets code, I was just hoping someone that currently has the same type of fence could confirm this.

7. Back To Top    #7

We have a split rail fence with wire mesh on the outside and it meets our code, but as they say, it all depends on your code/inspector. We really like the looks of it and it is definitely not easy to climb for most people. My teenage son, on the other hand, leaps it in a single bound, but then he could do that for almost any fence.
    22,000gal IG, Lazy L, vinyl pool - 1.0 HP Pentair Whisterflo - DE filter - Blue Pearl Robotic cleaner - Glowbuoy - BBB only!

8. Back To Top    #8

From what I am reading the fence meets code, I was just hoping someone that currently has the same type of fence could confirm this.
    You really need to get someone from your inspector's office to officially confirm it, no matter what anyone on an internet forum (no matter how honest and reliable ) tells you. Otherwise, you don't have a leg to stand on if the worst happens. Not doing so is foolish.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!

9. Back To Top    #9

DITTO with Anemone,

We have split rail fence and the mesh on the outside. It passed inspection here in MD.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

They have to come out and inspect the fence before we can fill the pool, so we will have a fence that meets code. Was just trying to get an idea if I needed to start budgeting a few thousand for a new fence or not ahead of time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we have no issues.

11. Back To Top    #11

They have to come out and inspect the fence before we can fill the pool, so we will have a fence that meets code. Was just trying to get an idea if I needed to start budgeting a few thousand for a new fence or not ahead of time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we have no issues.
    Glad to hear it

12. Back To Top    #12

I would think your pool builder could give the info you need or at least a contact in the inspectors office.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

13. Back To Top    #13

I'm going to call the counting building/permitting division and see if I can have someone come out prior to starting to see if the fence will meet code/what changes need to be made.