Free Chlorine: 6
Ph : 7.6
Tot Alkalinity: 108
Adj Alka : 87
Tot Hardness : 302
Minerals : 3100

Let me know if you need more details
Thanks in advance for help.

An HTH 6-way with dilution testing of the chlorine test, avg of multiple pool store results, best guess using the pool calculator http://www.poolcalculator.com/. None of which are optimal for shocking but can get you started. The TF100 usually comes pretty quick from all reports, Shipping on the east coast is usually 1-2 days. The HTH 6-way is available at Walmart seasonally and is really intended for temporary pools like I currently am using. Pool stores are notoriously bad with their tests. Best guess with the pool calculator is just that, read up in pool school http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/ how to use it, it can be a little tricky the first few times. You enter the size of your pool at the top, the type of pool and TFP near the bottom.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sunny, as stated several times already, you need to become familiar with Pool School. Especially the section Rob just pointed out regarding Shocking.

And yes, as Rob eluded to....Shock is a verb, not a noun. Do not buy "Shock". That is the reason I asked if you were going to use the BBB method. The only reason I can see myself going to a pool store ever again is if my test kit was somehow unusable and I needed a quick test (which I still wouldn't fully trust for an extended period of time).

Going by your pool company's numbers, it looks like you'd have to add 684 oz of 6% Bleach to get to shock level. That is assuming you haven't lost any in the last two days, which you probably have. You might want to get a newer test than 2 days ago.

Can't stress the importance of a good test kit. I hope yours is delivered soon.

Most of us use Bleach from the grocery store or walmart to shock and maintain chlorine with. We use the cheapest stuff we can find and still have the proper amount based on percent. Most, not all, grocery store bleach is 6%. Sometimes you will run across 5, 10 or 12%, just make sure if you use that to plug that percent into the pool calculator and it'll tell you how much to use to get to your target.

I agree you should get at least some chlorine into the pool or you'll have a full blown swamp.

And although 684 oz of bleach sounds like a shocking amount, pun intended, it is not too much to get your pool up to the required chlorine level for the shock process. And it is cheaper than the pool store "shock" material which will add undesirable additional calcium. Just learning myself, but was put off at first by the idea of buying gallons of bleach. Read up on it and it just makes sense.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.