Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: question about winter cover

1. Back To Top    #1

question about winter cover

I drained the pool below the return, added the winter chemicals, put in the air pillow and put the cover on the pool. I then started adding water on the cover. I cannot get water all the way around the cover. Water will only make a puddle about 1/2 way around the pool. I am at a loss. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? It is a 27ft. round pool. This is the first year of owning the pool and my first closing. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: question about winter cover

Why are you adding water to the cover?
    I try as much as I can to keep water off the cover.
    If I get enough water on the cover it'll go all the way around but that takes a lot of water.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I am adding water because everything I have read said to do that to help keep the cover on the pool when the wind blows. Is it wrong to add water to the cover?

4. Back To Top    #4

If you need to weigh the cover down, you can fill a few empty bleach or soda bottles with water and toss them on the cover with a string attached for easy retrieval. Mother nature will add enough water on top of that cover over the course the winter. I prefer to use a bunch of clips around the perimiter of our cover to keep the wind from blowing under the far so good.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator