New Pool Owner (Almost) Now with pictures!

BillV

Sep 12, 2011
Houston, TX
Great resource here! I've read most of the Pool School and all the chemistry info and I'm sold on the BBB method.

Trouble is I literally don't have complete control of my pool yet. Buying a house but won't close till next week. The pool looked fine a few weeks ago but has recently degraded toward swamp. Green, with algae growing on the sides and crawler hose.

I got permission from the owner through the real estate agent chain to start taking care of it myself. Got the test kit the other day and went to work. Cleaned the skimmers and pump filter, backwashed the filter, broke the backwash valve by screwing a new pressure gauge in too hand tight. :grrrr: Bought a new valve for $200. Have not replaced it yet as the leak slowed to a tiny trickle through self pluggage.

Bought some HCl and Bleach and got to testing.

FC - 0
CC or TC - 0
pH - 8.4+
TA - 350
CH - 400+ (Didn't finish the test cause I wasn't too sure I was in a reasonable range and didn't want to use up the reagent on a "down the road" problem)
CYA - 0

Cranked up the dichlor dispenser valve to try and add CYA.

So after reading Green Swamp to Sparkling Oasis thought I would start with pH, added nearly a gallon of Muriatic acid, no noticeable change after a day, added the rest and another gallon, voila 7.2 later that day. A little lucky but the pool calculator is great! :cheers: :cheers:
Yesterday, went and bought CYA from the local discount pool store, was going to add the pool calc amount via sock and skimmer and start the bleach process. Planned to spend the rest of the evening on the initial shocking and come back the next morning to continue.

BUT, found that either the current owner or a well meaning neighbor had added a bunch of Calcium shock. The tub was out and little white flecks were floating on the surface.

I was going a bit slow but learning and ready to really hit it. :hammer: Can't really blame him it was looking really bad.
Retested:

FC - ? Just did the TC test
CC or TC - 8+
pH - 8.4+
TA - no retest
CH - no retest
CYA - no retest

Added the CYA socks and called it a night. I had chlorine, the CYA was added. I wanted to go back home and lookup the shock effect on pH.

Today, the total chlorine was still over 8, the CYA was still 0 as far as I can tell there is no occlusion of the black dot. The pH had come back to about 7.3. Color had changed to gray.

Questions I have so far:
1. I kind of expected some CYA response with two big tube socks full, one in each of two skimmers. I know it will take a week, but nothing from 0?
2. Just wondering about the pH gyration from the Ca shock?
3. Do I just hope the shock treatment works or at least arrests the algae development and just wait until I have control over what is put in the pool?
4. How do I bypass the intermatic pump controller to allow continuous pumping? I can set the triggers so the pump is off only an hour or so a day.

I'll try and post a picture or two with my next post. I'm sure I can get there once I have control, would just like to have a swimmable pool as soon as possible after moving in! Thanks for all the other informative posts and for any advice.

Re: New Pool Owner (Almost)

One more question. Reading another post it said the Pump should be on while adding CYA in a sock. Am I causing any damage by allowing the pump to be off while I figure out my intermatic timer, or is it just slowing down the rate of dissolving?

Thanks

Pump off just slows the rate of dissolving. Don't bother trying to test for CYA, just use the value you calculated but after most of the CYA has dissolved. You can squish the sock as often as possible to hurry that along.

By dichlor dispenser, did you mean an automatic chlorinator like the Rainbow 320 I have? It is a vertical tube that holds 3" tablets of trichlor. Maybe you have something else, I dunno.

Whew, thanks for that. I'll get the pump running more, but who knows what my mystery helper will do.

Yes, my dispenser is like yours. The first day I took the top off and it was full to the top with pucks so I figured the owner had refilled it. Got a good whiff too, think I would rather handle bleach.

Bill

Well if the pool was run with the auto chlorinator, it is suspicious that the CYA was 0. Those add CYA. Pool Calculator says 1.3 ppm CYA per 8 oz puck of trichlor in your 26600 gallons pool.

Maybe they had recently refilled the pool, high TA indicates that is possible. Perhaps they added calcium and nothing else, figuring the tablets would take care of that CYA fast enough. It may be that the recent puck's CYA is yet to show on test, so be careful that you do not overshoot on the CYA you add. Backwashing will tend to reduce overage but still, no need to overdo it.

Pucks are easy to use, within limits. They add CYA and acid and so they will maintain downward pressure on the pH and the TA while you use them. Once the CYA is high enough, you need to switch to bleach. Or cal-hypo if CH is low, but yours is high so that is not for you at this point. I find that if I use a newspaper bag to protect my hands, the tablets are super easy. Bleach will (always) create micro splashes, too small to notice in time to dilute to save your clothes. My yard is private so I often strip down to pour the bleach if it is not wintertime yet. Or wait until after I swim.

Yeah, the cya seems to be the most puzzling issue at the moment
Guess I will check thepucks to see if they are being used up. Hard to know if my mystery helper is topping that up or not. How fast might the pucks be used with the control wide open?

Well just got back from the pool.

Here are the promised pics
First from Monday (9/12)
First%252520pic%252520of%252520pool%252520%2525289-12-11%252529.jpg

One from today (9/14) at dusk. I think the led flash makes it look bluer than it is.
Pool%252520at%252520Dusk%252520%2525289-14-11%252529.jpg

Another from today showing the crawler hose.
Pool%252520at%252520dusk%252520crawler%252520tube%252520%2525289-14-11%252529.jpg

Not many changes, the CYA in the socks had mostly disappeared. Still not seeing any cloudyness in the test though. Not sure what is happening there.

The chlorinator is using up the pucks, it is down about a puck and a half from Sunday. I see that I called it dichlor earlier, but it is trichlor in the bucket. The bucket of shock is still out and the TC test still shows over 5ppm. I guess I'll really sort it out after we close on the house in a week or so. :sleep: In the meantime I'd sure like to figure out what the CYA level will be.

Thanks for the help so far anonapersona. :cheers:

Re: New Pool Owner (Almost) Now with Pictures!

Talked to the current owner last night. He is the one who has been helping. Said he ran out of the Cal-Shock :whoot: and could buy more if I want. Told him thanks but no, I'll take it from here.

The CYA in the socks has all disappeared, probably still disolving in the filter, right? I'm going to turn off the puck chlorinator tonight to stop CYA addition. There must be some in there by now. I'm following the TF -100 directions exactly but getting absolutely clear water/reagent mix. Hopefully it will start showing up in the testing now that it has had a day or so to dissolve.

I'll start the shocking tonight with bleach and keep it up over the weekend. More pics and test results tomorrow.

:)

To show at all? or just to register the full amount.

Thanks for the feedback :mrgreen: , I'll go with patience for now and not test for another 4 days. I'll run out of the CYA reagent if I keep up that testing schedule. Since I am seeing some slight cloudyness in the test now I am going with 5ppm in the pool calculator for shocking purposes. Should I assume my CYA is slowly rising towards 20 for the next few days and increase the shock levels?

I added 4.5 lbs, the one time mentioned above a few days ago, it all left the socks but I have to assume that most of it is still in the filter. (Hope the previous owner did not backwash!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well last night I just added 300 oz of bleach. I didn't have the pool calc with me, but FC was near 0, I was running out of time and I recalled that with 0 CYA the pool calc was calling for even more. Here is the before picture.

IMAG0673.jpg

This morning went back and got the following results
FC 8.5
CC 1.5
CYA << 20

This is what it looked like.

IMAG0675.jpg

IMAG0674.jpg

Going for a shock level of 10 added 6 quarts (about 280 oz) of bleach. Brushed the heck out of the pool. A half hour later.

FC 9
CC 1.5
Not too bad a drop.
Added another 55oz bleach per pool calc
Here is how I left it 2 hours ago. About to go back and adjust.
IMAG0676.jpg

IMAG0677.jpg

The CYA can take up to a week to register, but once it's fully dissolved it's in the pool and you should calculate for it at the level you intended it to be.

11ppm isn't too high if you added it intending to reach 30ppm. Check the calculator, and shock for the CYA value that you added.

I was intending 10-11 ppm of chlorine. I was assuming a CYA level of 5 ppm since it was just showing some hint of CYA on the test. The CYA dose I gave it should get me to about 20ppm I was trying not to overshoot.

So should I be going for Chlorine shock levels assuming a CYA of 20?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.