polaris 380 broken again!!!

Jun 8, 2011
Hello pool vac guru here, once again I have a problem with my Polaris 380. When the Polaris is on the cleaner does it’s normal routine, but after the backup valve activates for the first time of the day, the cleaner stays where the back valve puts it. The sweep hose moves but the wheels do not turn. when I shut it off and turn it on minutes later it works fine then the same thing happens over and over again. Considering the fact that the cleaner is 15 years old, should I fix it or replace the whole thing!!! Thank you for reading this post.
Sincerely the Pool vac guru.

pool vac guru said:
Hello pool vac guru here, once again I have a problem with my Polaris 380. When the Polaris is on the cleaner does it’s normal routine, but after the backup valve activates for the first time of the day, the cleaner stays where the back valve puts it. The sweep hose moves but the wheels do not turn. when I shut it off and turn it on minutes later it works fine then the same thing happens over and over again. Considering the fact that the cleaner is 15 years old, should I fix it or replace the whole thing!!! Thank you for reading this post.
Sincerely the Pool vac guru.

Since it is 15 years old, I definitely would replace it because parts for this cleaner are not cheap and you probably have quite a few issues such as bearings wheels etc that after 15 years need replacing. Polris has a nice one now that has an electric motor and does not run off booster pump.

15 years old and never been repaired? You must have some good karma!

380's are a cinch to repair. Shop for the best prices on line, especially eBay. Your current problem does sound like a backup valve. If you can unscrew the two halves of the backup valve case, you can buy the guts (valve) only, which is cheaper than the case with the valve.

Maybe this winter you can find a tune-up kit on eBay cheap and replace the expendable parts (like belts & bearings) and have a "like new" 380 for next season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.