Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: polaris 380 broken again!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

polaris 380 broken again!!!

Hello pool vac guru here, once again I have a problem with my Polaris 380. When the Polaris is on the cleaner does it’s normal routine, but after the backup valve activates for the first time of the day, the cleaner stays where the back valve puts it. The sweep hose moves but the wheels do not turn. when I shut it off and turn it on minutes later it works fine then the same thing happens over and over again. Considering the fact that the cleaner is 15 years old, should I fix it or replace the whole thing!!! Thank you for reading this post.
    Sincerely the Pool vac guru.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: polaris 380 broken again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pool vac guru
    Hello pool vac guru here, once again I have a problem with my Polaris 380. When the Polaris is on the cleaner does it’s normal routine, but after the backup valve activates for the first time of the day, the cleaner stays where the back valve puts it. The sweep hose moves but the wheels do not turn. when I shut it off and turn it on minutes later it works fine then the same thing happens over and over again. Considering the fact that the cleaner is 15 years old, should I fix it or replace the whole thing!!! Thank you for reading this post.
    Sincerely the Pool vac guru.
    Since it is 15 years old, I definitely would replace it because parts for this cleaner are not cheap and you probably have quite a few issues such as bearings wheels etc that after 15 years need replacing. Polris has a nice one now that has an electric motor and does not run off booster pump.
    Tom

18 x 36 Grecian Polynesian Fiberglass Walls with Concrete bottom - 3 ft to 9 1/2 ft. deep -
    Hayward Variable Speed Super Pump SP2600VS 1 1/2 True HP,Hayward sand filter S200, and Hayward auto clorinator. Hayward 250,000 natural gas heater. PoolKeeper automatic water leveler. Loop Loc Ultra Solid Safety Cover. Hayward Color Logic 12 volt light. Dual Pool Deck Jets.
    Polaris 380 auto cleaner. Trouble Free Test Kit TF-100.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

380's parts are actually cheaper than the 280's, I would fix it

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like it is the backup valve.
    Tom

18 x 36 Grecian Polynesian Fiberglass Walls with Concrete bottom - 3 ft to 9 1/2 ft. deep -
    Hayward Variable Speed Super Pump SP2600VS 1 1/2 True HP,Hayward sand filter S200, and Hayward auto clorinator. Hayward 250,000 natural gas heater. PoolKeeper automatic water leveler. Loop Loc Ultra Solid Safety Cover. Hayward Color Logic 12 volt light. Dual Pool Deck Jets.

5. Back To Top    #5

15 years old and never been repaired? You must have some good karma!

380's are a cinch to repair. Shop for the best prices on line, especially eBay. Your current problem does sound like a backup valve. If you can unscrew the two halves of the backup valve case, you can buy the guts (valve) only, which is cheaper than the case with the valve.

Maybe this winter you can find a tune-up kit on eBay cheap and replace the expendable parts (like belts & bearings) and have a "like new" 380 for next season.
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a spare valve that I saved when I traded up to the 380. I just kept it in case it would work with the 380 I have now. Do you think they are interchangeable, if I ever need to.
    Tom
    Tom

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

what model did you have before? a 280? if so then yes it will work

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, prior model was 280.
    Tom