help with leak

powell

Apr 29, 2009
I've been having problems with new water loss in my pool and suspect a leak somewhere. I have an in ground vinyl liner pool at a weekend vacation home with a Coverstar pool cover. Pump is on a timer running 12 hrs/day. Have a cartridge filter. Pool is 4 years old. Normally water level when I arrive on Friday is right where it was the previous Sunday when I closed up. Last several weeks, i've lost around 4 inches per week while I'm gone.

Did the bucket test for 48 hrs with pump off and returns/skimmers plugged. No water loss.

Did bucket test with pump running 12 hrs (equal to one day) also without water loss.

I'm wondering if there could be a leak in the Coverstar liner with pool water coming through the leak and being pumped out by my cover pump. When cover is on and floating on the water, I don't see any areas of water infiltration however. We have had some really heavy rains lately from Irene and then Lee. During a heavy rain, the pump cannot keep up and water builds up on the cover.

If the cover has standing water on it, could a cover leak be occuring in a part of the cover not normally contacting the pool water? Has anybody had a similar situation? Does anyone have any thoughts on how I could find such a hole/leak or at least test and prove this is happening.

This is driving me crazy because water level has been dropping so that skimmers were sucking air. I'm now using main drains only when I'm not there.

Thanks for any advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.