Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pump, filter and Swg install

1. Back To Top    #1

New pump, filter and Swg install

I have one 1.5" line from skimmer to pump and one 1.5" line back to pool which feeds 2 returns. I plan to replace 14 year old 3/4 hp pump, 36 sf DE filter and add an SWG. The new pump, filter and SWG are all 2" so I would like to plump everything on the equiment pad with 2" pvc. Will I be able to do this since I only have one 1.5" intake line?
    Steve B

18X32 vinyl liner inground pool, 3/4 hp pump and 36 sf DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pump, filter and Swg install

What you propose won't be a problem. What size and type pool do you have?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

just up dated my profile so pool info is now there
    Steve B

4. Back To Top    #4

Just an update to my prior post. After doing some more research I have determined that my current plumbing has about 40 feet of head.
    I will be using a Pentair FNS Plus 36sf DE filter and have narrowed my choice of pump upgrade to either a 3/4 hp Pentair Superflo or a 1/2 hp Pentair Whisperflo(per the pump curves this may actually pumps more water). Besides the fact the Whisperflo can pump more water is there anything else that makes it a better pump? I know that I will be restricted on the amount of water that can be pumped by the 1.5" inlet and outlet pipe so what are the advantages/disvantages of plumbing the equiment with 2" pvc? If the Superflo pump is my better choice(and it comes with 1.5" connections) what effect if any will having 1.5" pvc to SWG( which is plumbed with 2")will there be besides the need to use bushings?
    Thanks for everyones help....just want to make sure I do this right.
    Steve B

5. Back To Top    #5

I advocate using 2" everywhere you can and bushing down only where you have to, but in your situation it won't make a lot of difference. You can go with 2' and go up or down when you need to or you can go 1½" and just increase at the swcg.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I did the same on mine. I have 1.5" copper lines going to the equipment pad, but just had new equipment put in. It all has 2" running between it and just reduces to 1.5" where it connects to the copper lines. My variable speed pump cavitates over 3000 rpm, but I normally run it much slower anyways. Only run it fast when I am skimming before a weekend of swimming.
    32' x 15', 25k gallon gunite IG pool, California Quartz plaster in Tahoe color
    Pentair equip (Intelliflow VS+AU pump, DE filter, IC40 SWG)
    Spa wall removed to make "seating" area