The eliminator Pool cover, anyone use them?

Durf

Jul 6, 2011
http://www.blueoceanpools.com/product_i ... i/16/pi/37
$329
I have seen this cover recommended on this site before, it looks really perfect for me. Has anyone had any experience with it in the past. I have a 18x33 above ground pool with a full wood deck all the way around it. I do not want a safety cover and I do not want to use water bags(pain in the Rear). I talked to them and they say it can be mounted directly to the deck and that it filters out the trash differently than a mesh safety cover does so the water will be crystal clear in the spring. My dad has a safety mesh cover and every spring his pool is green, I do not want that.

My other choices are $500
http://easydomepoolcovers.com/
I talked to them and the cover seems awesome but pricey, and not really designed to mount directly to deck. They say it can be but you have to screw or nail it through the tarp. I'm not so sure about that considering the cost of the cover.

My last choice is $180
http://www.poolsupplies.com/cgi-bin/com ... vers4.html
The cheapest solution and should be strong enough to handle the winds if I anchor it directly to the deck, and not use water bags. However not really designed for that. Have others had any luck anchoring standard covers to wood decks?

Help please! I do not want to go through another winter fighting my pool cover trying to fly off or sag in.

Very nice! I had not seen that before. It would still leave me with the problem of anchoring the cover to the deck, since my deck covers my pool. But it is still pretty cool. One question, does the pourus, mesh cover let a lot of dirt in the pool? My dad has a mesh safety cover and every spring his water is green. Is that because the dirt sets on his cover and the water pulls it into the pool? But this system lets the dirt blow off the cover so the water is clear when you open it? Am I understanding this correctly?

I have not had problems with dirt sifting through the cover - I live on a dirt road and the prevailing winds blow the road dust right to my pool. Algae can form in a pool whose FC=0 and the water temp is above 60. It is recommended here not to cover until the water temp is below 60 and to open the pool when the water temp gets to 60 in the spring. I don't worry about it too much since chlorine will kill algae pretty easily when I do open the pool.

We have a deck around part of the pool, but the decking is below the coping by an eighth inch and we can get the cable under that.

I wonder how securely those brackets screw into the uprights with all of that tension on them, especially on a resin pool?

It looks similar to this cover which is less expensive. I wonder if this cover below can be pulled tight like that also?

[attachment=0:3iyddps7]skirted-winter-cover.jpg[/attachment:3iyddps7]

Description: The above-ground skirted winter cover is cut to the exact size of your round or oval pool. A skirt, 2 feet long is sewn onto the cover to form a snug and secure fit around your pool. The cover comes complete with cable, winch, clips and screws. The clips are secured to each upright. The cable can then be run through the cover and each clip. This reinforces the cover to your pool. Blue on top, black on bottom. GET A FREE 4 ft. x 4 ft. AIR PILLOW WITH PURCHASE! 10 year warranty and is Made in the USA!

Attachments

• skirted-winter-cover.jpg
    skirted-winter-cover.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 475
I have a 16x32 oval with a full deck around it. I buy a solid cover and attach it to the deck with nails, at grommet points. I then place pavers in the sections between the pavers. Without the pavers wind can get under the cover. A little debris will get under the cover, but nothing too serious. I've never opened to a green pool. If I am diligent about sweeping the deck of leaves even less gets into the water. If I need to get into the water for any reason, it is pretty easy to open up a section of the cover.

mcgeggy said:
I wonder how securely those brackets screw into the uprights with all of that tension on them, especially on a resin pool?

It looks similar to this cover which is less expensive. I wonder if this cover below can be pulled tight like that also?

[attachment=0:ls5xg84k]skirted-winter-cover.jpg[/attachment:ls5xg84k]

Description: The above-ground skirted winter cover is cut to the exact size of your round or oval pool. A skirt, 2 feet long is sewn onto the cover to form a snug and secure fit around your pool. The cover comes complete with cable, winch, clips and screws. The clips are secured to each upright. The cable can then be run through the cover and each clip. This reinforces the cover to your pool. Blue on top, black on bottom. GET A FREE 4 ft. x 4 ft. AIR PILLOW WITH PURCHASE! 10 year warranty and is Made in the USA!

Solid covers aren't made to be pulled tight across the top of the pool. They are not designed to let water drain through the cover material, so the water will pool on top of the cover and have to be pumped off. If you stretch it tight, then the weight of the water that pools on top is going to cause something to break or tear.

I'm using a mesh cover myself this year (first year to try one). The mesh is fine enough that it takes water a little bit of time to migrate through the cover, so I'm hoping that it'll keep most of the dirt out too. Unfortunately it only has grommets spaced around the circumference, so it probably wouldn't meet your needs.

MikeInTN said:
mcgeggy said:

[attachment=0:3i6ewp0o]skirted-winter-cover.jpg[/attachment:3i6ewp0o]

Solid covers aren't made to be pulled tight across the top of the pool. They are not designed to let water drain through the cover material, so the water will pool on top of the cover and have to be pumped off. If you stretch it tight, then the weight of the water that pools on top is going to cause something to break or tear.

I wasn't concerned as much as the tightness of the cover across the pool - it was those brackets that you screw into the uprights that seemed a bit risky. Even if you leave the cover sitting on the water in the pool, and pump it off of the cover regularly, there will still be weight pulling the cover against the brackets (winter snow, ice, etc.). Screws into resin just doesn't seem that secure to me, like they might pull out easily...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Doesn't the snow stress your walls a lot since the water level is 8 inches lower than normal for winterization?

I would be interested, but the weight of snow has to be killer unless the cover will stretch down to the ice so the weight is supported by the ice in the pool rather than the actual walls.

The cover stretches the bungees and lowers down onto the ice. You don't lower the water 8 inches with this one. You dam the skimmer with a foam piece that keeps the level same as summer.
There is no stress on the pool. The company that makes this is in Quebec. It's designed for snow and ice.
We are in a snow belt in central Ontario where we get huge snow. dunno why this picture only loads sideways, but here's our pool deck 2 months ago... lol.
20180108_101343-1.jpg
EVERYONE covers their pools in Canada. But most put the traditional tarp at the lower level. There is no issue either way. But if someone tried to put a taught cover on a pool with a lowered water level that would not be good. It would just rip I suppose. That's why the bungees on this one are genius.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.