Progress on scale

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
Here's a picture from November last year. This was the worst section of the spa.
file.php

Here's a picture taken this morning. I might have to retake it later, when the light is better.
[attachment=0:3d9lc4n5]Dsc02670.jpg[/attachment:3d9lc4n5]

It's not completely eradicated, but the pool has been swimmable the whole time (aside from water temperature).

Attachments

• Dsc02670.jpg
    Dsc02670.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,241
I have a similar lookinzg scaling issue from my pre-TFP days. What has your method been to get rid of the scaling? I have been maintaining the csi in the 0 to -.3 range for a month but have not noticed any improvement. I'm hesitant to do any sort of acid wash. Scrubbing with a nylon brush seems to have no effect. Should i try a wire brush?
Thanks!!

There has been little to no rain here but i have bben planning to drain some water and let rain fill the pool as soon as i can. My fill water has a high CH so that's not an option. I plan on draining partially for winter soon Which should help a lot! We got huge snowfalls here last year so my fngers are crossed!

A month is nothing, as far as this process is concerned! It took about a year for me to remove less scale than Richard had; I actually didn't do a whole lot of brushing but just let the water work on it. Below is how mine looked originally; I don't have an 'after' picture, but just imagine the white coating gone.

file.php

Another update. I guess I should have checked what I took pictures of last time, this shot is to the right of the others, but you may be able to spot the matching uneven tiles.

[attachment=0:2hg16uc3]Dsc02947.jpg[/attachment:2hg16uc3]

Attachments

• Dsc02947.jpg
    Dsc02947.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,080
No pictures this time - there's no room in the pool to empty the spa water into. I added about 3" of rainwater this last "storm." But anyway...

Last full set of tests was 2 weeks ago. CH was 700. Somewhere I figured out that the average pool depth would be 60". So...3" dilution in 60" water should be 5%. So maybe, just maybe, I'd be able to detect CH dropped. I was looking for 675 today. Instead, I have 725. Which means: I'm still stripping scale!! That Calcium had to come from somewhere.

I'm so tempted to go berzerk and run the pH down in the sixes to accelerate the process, but I have no desire to buy a new heater. So slow and steady we go, pH about 7.2, CSI hovers around -.5 > -.6.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
More rain!

Another rain shower last night. They never gave expected rainfall amounts, so I figured it would be minimal. But this morning the pool and spa were at the same level. Roughly 5% dilution. Now I wish I'd drained it down a little. I'm pumping it out from the main drain, but I know some of that precious Calcium-free water is sneaking out. :cry:

Great job Richard! :goodjob:

I recently was coaching another user on calcium scale. The suggestions I gave are virtually identical to what you have been doing. Made it very clear that this is a slow process, though...kind of like watching paint dry. However, the progress will be noticed when pictures are taken several months apart.

Since it got dragged back towards the top, I thought I'd post another update. Progress has slowed a bit, but should accelerate again as the water cools down and its easier to keep the CSI down.
[attachment=0:2l6jd0ap]spawall10262012.jpg[/attachment:2l6jd0ap]

Attachments

• spawall10262012.jpg
    spawall10262012.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 677
Hello from Wylie, TX again.

I have a similar problem in my pool that came with the house, scale and all. I may be a complete newb, but BBB has helped me move right into taking care of the pool without getting "pool-stored" and spending way too much money. Being able to jump in and cool off during these hot north Texas summers is priceless.
While the water looks great, the pool surfaces need some help. In playing with the pool calculator (thx Jason) I find that while holding the ph at 7.2, TA has the next biggest impact on CSI. What I plan to try is to keep the CSI ~-0.5 or so, keep working on the scale with a wire brush and not to expect results overnight. If I take my TA down to 40 or so, will I have to keep a tight rein on ph? Will it need checking multiple times in a day? I don't have much control over water temp. Am I even taking the right approach?
I don't relish the thought of draining and replacing a large percentage of the water, and then still having the scale to deal with, and then the CH would just climb again. As long as I can keep the calcium in suspension I'm good. I would prefer to copy the technique that Richard320 has embraced, to replace pool water with rain water gradually, while working on this problem and still being able to use the pool.
I would sure like to disprove the naysayers that say the plaster is degrading or "you can't get rid of scale". The pool is in great shape except for the scale.
I would appreciate any constructive comments.

Here are the test results from this morning:

FC-6
CC-0
ph-7.2
TA-70
CH-400
CYA-50

Thanks

If you lower your TA too much, you'll start to see swings in pH and it probably will be harder to keep in a tight range. You could aim for 7 with the pH, but that doesn't give much leeway. Honestly the best way to lower your CSI would be to replace water. Or, you could add some salt.

This is exactly the issue that I am concerned about. I'm not worried about managing the CH of the water, but of removing the scale. What is the most appropriate way to get my CSI to -0.5 while maintaining a swimmable pool? Richard320, you did it. How did you manage it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.