DE sand cartridge filter, need help choosing

smooth2222

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 25, 2010
michigan
I currently have a sand filter, and thinking of getting a cartridge filter, I have inground swimming pool with spa, about 15,000 gallons total.

If i got a cartridge filter would i have to get a smaller filter pump? Reading that cartridge filters have way better water flow vs sand filter.

Thinking cartridge filter over DE for easier maintance and easier cleaning.

Also my water should be cleaner and clearer with a cartridge filter over the sand filter.

ALso there are many brands of different cartridge filters, which one is the best? what one would be recommended for 15,000 gallons?

thanks

If one of those filter types was significantly better than another, it would be the only one on the market. The differences are subtle and all three types are suitable. Start by telling us what you don't like about the sand filter and it'll help us suggest one of the others.

1.5 hp pump, inground pool, cristel flo 2, 350lbs of sand.

thinking with the cartridge it can get smaller particles.

sand filter, when the pool is just a little dirty, i vacuum half the pool then it starts coming out dirty out of the jets. uses a ton of water to backwash. (backwash after vacuuming)

thinking with a cartridge i would have a more crystal clear pool with less maintance? and no backwashing, just clean the cartridge filter

smooth2222 said:
sand filter, when the pool is just a little dirty, i vacuum half the pool then it starts coming out dirty out of the jets. uses a ton of water to backwash.

It sounds like you may have a broken lateral...

Backwashing does use a lot of water. But it is easier than cracking open the filter and cleaning the cartridges IMHO.

I think fixing your filter and adding a little DE to it may change your mind about a complete swap.

"It sounds like you may have a broken lateral..."

There is no sand in the pool from the filter. still think it might be a broken lateral?

how much DE should i add to the skimmer for 350lbs sand filter? I think i will try this idea

At the beginning of this season I replaced an old DE filter, that had given me a lot of trouble, when it developed a lead that couldn't be repaired. I went with a sand filter with ZeoBright and I am very happy with the results. The water is every bit as pollished as it was with the DE filter. I was nervous about doing it because I know a couple of people with sand filters that have some very dull water but they haven't gotten around to reading this site yet either so it may have nothing to do with the sand in the filter.

After having spent the last few years cursing and tearing down a DE filter I didnt want another filter I had to take apart if I could help it. Zeo does have a lot of dust in it when you buy so you have to backwash well a few times at startup but I do like it. I called the manufacturer and they recommended adding a bottle of clarifier right before startup and backwash and rinse 3 times before putting it on filter to clear the dust out. That made me so paranoid we washed the zeo before we put it in the filter and added about a half bottle of clarifier to the pool before i backwashed and the dust was gone after 1 backwash. I don't think the prewashing it was worth the troubled though. If I was doing it again I would just do the clarifier and backwash and rinse a few times. All that said I couldn't be happier with my choice, especially when backwashing takes about 2 min and I'm done.

smooth2222 said:
"It sounds like you may have a broken lateral..."

There is no sand in the pool from the filter. still think it might be a broken lateral?

how much DE should i add to the skimmer for 350lbs sand filter? I think i will try this idea

Search the forum and you'll find posts where debris and or sand was making it's way back to the pool - in some cases it was a lateral or also the main vertical tube things. I don't have any direct experience with a sand filter - only what I've read. I have worked with cartridges and now a DE filter and they're both messy to clean but DE is worse but it's all relative. I think a big thing going for sand filters is that all you have to do to clean them is to backflush them. I'm curious what the experts will say about your pump - with that big a filter you will need a lot of flow and pressure to backflush it properly. I bet your pump is plenty big enough though.

There is an article in pool school about adding DE to a sand filter - check that out for how much to add.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.