Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Move it or give pool away

1. Back To Top    #1

Move it or give pool away

I have a doughboy pool (sand filter) approximately 13 years old and it is still in excellent condition. I live in Michigan but am moving to North Carolina. Would it be worth taking to NC? If so, I had it professionally installed, will I be able to take down myself? Someone mentioned that saltwater is used in NC pools. If accurate, can I use same filter & pump...
    Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Move it or give pool away

If it's still in good condition and you have a little help rolling up the wall, then it's probably worth moving it. Mark all the pieces.

Salt water is used in lots of pools just as bleach is used in lots of pools. Location has nothing to do with it. Even so, if you decide to use salt it won't be a problem.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Any suggestions how to start the disassembly? Specific types of tools?

4. Back To Top    #4

Most pools only need a phillips screwdriver and a pair of pliers to dissemble and reassemble. Of course wrenches of the correct size help.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Freezer zip-lock bags for all the little hardware. Sharpie to mark everything, camera to document how it came apart. Straps to hold the wall rolled up. Once you have the wall out, lay it on the ground, unroll it and then re-roll as tight as possible without creasing. This will make it a lot easier to handle. Plan on a new liner as anything over a year old it won't stretch back and will either rip or pull the wall down when reinstalled. To make the sand filter lighter for moving remove most/all of the sand, a shop vac works well for this. You can plan on new sand in NC or take the old with you in heavy bags. I used old dog food sacks. A dolly and wheelbarrow were helpful for moving the heavier items.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

6. Back To Top    #6

There's lots of videos online about how to install a AGP, I would get familiar with those. If you familiarize yourself with those videos just reverse the principles when taking apart, it will also get you trained up for how to install it when you get to the new place.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list