Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Where to put antifreeze?

Where to put antifreeze?

I have an in ground fiberglass pool that I am trying to winterize. I blew out the system with an air compressor but cannot figure out where to put the antifreeze in. I tried the skimmer, but it doesn't move or circulate to the pool outlets. Any ideas on how I can get antifreeze into the lines in the pool? Thanks very much!

Re: Where to put antifreeze?

Pour it into the skimmer. If it won't flow in, you may need to open the valve at the pump end to let the air out.

Pour it into the return lines and drain line from the pump end.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

Thanks for the reply, but my skimmer goes to the pump, filter and heater on my system before going to the return lines. How is it supposed to be pushed up through the entire system with no pressure? Or am I missing something and does the skimmer go directly to the return lines avoiding the filter system. Thanks!

Do it reverse if you don't have check valves. Open the pump basket and pour it in there. It'll flow out the skimmer. Once you see pink you can plug the skimmer and close the valve at the pump suction. I wouldn't fill the filter up with it. I'd winterize the filter and figure a way to pour the antifreeze into the return line(s) to fill them up.

We will be more help if you can post a pic of your equipment.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Here is a picture of my filter system. No reverse valves, only a valve for backwash. Not sure how putting antifreeze into the strainer basket would do anything except stay there. Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but this is the first time I'm winterizing it my self. Thanks again!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think your best plan of attack is to blow out the lines and plug the outlets with winterizing plugs and not worry about the antifreeze.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.