Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this an abnormal amount of acid for a spa?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this an abnormal amount of acid for a spa?

I am having trouble reducing TA and lowering pH, despite following the procedures described on this site.

Spa is 290 gallons.

CH is 300, TA is at 110 and pH is at 8.2 despite adding a lot of acid.

I'm using the aeration/acid approach, and TA started at 220, so it's making progress, but is it normal to use 5/6ths of a bottle of acid (so far) for such a small amount of water?

The only chemicals in the water so far are a bit of dichlor, enough borax to get to 50 ppm, and a ton of acid.

The water looks, feels, and smells great, but the acid consumption seems really high.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this an abnormal amount of acid for a spa?

Deleted my post, decided I really didn't know what I was talking about. I think this is a borate issues and I don't know too much about that!
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by tetragon
    I am having trouble reducing TA and lowering pH, despite following the procedures described on this site.

Spa is 290 gallons.

CH is 300, TA is at 110 and pH is at 8.2 despite adding a lot of acid.

I'm using the aeration/acid approach, and TA started at 220, so it's making progress, but is it normal to use 5/6ths of a bottle of acid (so far) for such a small amount of water?

The only chemicals in the water so far are a bit of dichlor, enough borax to get to 50 ppm, and a ton of acid.

The water looks, feels, and smells great, but the acid consumption seems really high.
    Insufficient data.

What is the chlorine level? If the FC level is way high, above 10 or thereabouts, your pH reading will be off.

Second, the tester only goes to 8.2, so who knows what the starting pH really was? It coulda been 10 for all you know!

Third, what is "a lot of acid"? 5/6 of what size bottle? A quart? A gallon?
    [attachment=0:2vh4j9kj]just-the-facts.jpg[/attachment:2vh4j9kj]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

For a 290 gallon spa, it will take 17 ounces (weight) of Borax to raise the borates to 50 ppm and it will also take 8.1 ounces (volume) of 31.45% muriatic acid to compensate for the pH increase due to the Borax.

It will take another 8.1 ounces of 31.45% muriatic acid to lower the TA by 110 ppm for a total of 16.2 ounces of 31.45% muriatic acid, which is equivalent to 22 ounces of dry acid (sodium bisulfate).

If your bottle of acid is 24 ounces of dry acid, then that is about right (5/6 X 24 = 20 ounces).

I prefer to use muriatic acid rather than dry acid, especially when adding a lot of acid, to avoid adding high levels of sulfates.

In the future, you might want to consider using boric acid instead of Borax because boric acid is mostly pH neutral. 290 gallons would take 11 ounces (weight) of boric acid to achieve 50 ppm.

http://www.poolcalculator.com/

http://www.chemistrystore.com/search.cg ... boric+acid