circulation help

Jul 17, 2011
Canton, MI
I've been having circulation problems all year on the bottom of my pool. I have a 28ft 17,500 gallon round above ground pool with only one return jet. I've tried aiming the jet in all directions possible (except up) to improve circulation on the bottom of the pool, but nothing has worked. Anytime the FC drops to the target level (well above min FC) the bottom turns green, except near the return jet. The previous owner dug the middle of the pool out so it's around 4.5ft deep in the middle, 3.5ft deep around the edge of the pool. I've read the reviews on "the circulator," and it seems like a shady product that doesn't work well. Any ideas on how to improve circulation for next summer? Are there any underwater fountains that I could hook up to the return jet that would sit on the bottom of the pool? Thanks for you help!

How about plumb in a second jet and aim it at the center of the pool. It sounds like your not getting good circulation to begin with. How is your return aimed? What's the pump run time? Maybe it's too short. Or keep your FC level higher. Are you using pucks or liquid bleach? If your using pucks do you know your CYA level and have you taken that into account with the FC level?

Using liquid chlorine on the BBB method. Pump runs 12 hours/day, and jet is aimed diagonally down and right. I'd love to add a second jet, but I have no clue how. Is that expensive, or difficult to do myself? Also not sure how I would hook another return line to the hayward sand filter.

I would rule out the other reasons for algae before cutting another hole in your pool. Not saying you don't have a circulation problem but with a relatively clean filter and a properly working 1.5 HP pump, your circulation should be more than sufficient.

I am not familiar with the return jet fittings for AG pools, but if the eyeball screws in, you can screw in some type of PVC adapter and either direct the water stream down or actually make something out of pvc pipe that travels to the bottom of the pool and then turns 90 degrees to distribute the water parallel to the bottom of the pool.

That said, how are you testing your FC level? We have VERY few (if any) reports of inadequate circulation in a pool like you describe and I suspect your FC is (has been) chronically low.

CYA is somewhere between 50 and 60. I'm in the shock process now so the water is blue, but slightly cloudy (dead algae). Once the shock process is done I think I'll shock to mustard algae levels for CYA 60-70 (just incase) for 24hrs, then close the pool after the FC level falls to normal shock level (short pool season in Michigan)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.