Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chloromatic - Low Output Voltage?

1. Back To Top    #1

Chloromatic - Low Output Voltage?

I have an old Chloromatic with a P150 24 amp cell. At the start of winter I noticed the ammeter hardly moved when the unit was switched on, and when I dialled it up to maximum, the needle only shifted slightly. At the time, I read that cold water can inhibit chlorine generation, so I switched if off over the winter and dosed manually. But now it's warming up again, and nothing has changed.

So I checked the output voltage with a multimeter, and at max, it's 2.6V. Even if I was hitting max amps of 24, that's still only 62.4W of power. Which seems way too low.

The cell is only about 6 months old, I've bucket tested with warm, super salty water, and nothing changes. No gas production or anything going on visually.

Does anyone know what the output voltage should be for a Chloromatic? Could this be anything other than a problem with the chlorinator itself?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Chloromatic - Low Output Voltage?

Is the cell clean? That's the first thing I would check.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Chloromatic - Low Output Voltage?

Yeah it's clean. There is some minor scale between the plates that I can't seem to shake, but I've seen it work on 60-80% amps with a fair bit of scale on it.

Right now, the needle barely twitches.