Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: closing kits

1. Back To Top    #1

closing kits

are opening and closing kits necessary to purchase every year?
    21X41, 30,000, ig, vinyl,48sf de, 1hp hayward super pump, 2" piping, 2 skimmers, 1 main inlet, 2 return, built in 1988, no enclosure, lots of trees around, direct sun. Thanks in advance to all who have answered my questions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: closing kits

No, just follow the pool opening and closing instructions in pool school. Do you live in an area that consistently has hard freeze conditions over the winter?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

maryland

thats what i was thinking when i read the contents of them it's usually just chlorine and algea prevention
    21X41, 30,000, ig, vinyl,48sf de, 1hp hayward super pump, 2" piping, 2 skimmers, 1 main inlet, 2 return, built in 1988, no enclosure, lots of trees around, direct sun. Thanks in advance to all who have answered my questions.

4. Back To Top    #4

If your pool is likely to turn into an icecube over the winter, then the most important step in winterizing is lowering the water level below the return, blowing out the lines, and draining the pump and filter. If you close when the water temp is consistently below 60 degrees and open when it is consistently above 60 degrees then you shouldn't have any issues with algae. If you do use an algaecide look for a polyquat version and avoid anything with metals in it.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    If you close when the water temp is consistently below 60 degrees and open when it is consistently above 60 degrees then you shouldn't have any issues with algae.
    Shouldn't that be "open when it is still consistently BELOW 60 degrees"? Because if you let it get up to 60 before opening the algae can take the time in between to grow?
    20k gallon IGP
    Plaster over gunite
    3/4 hp Hayward pump
    Purex Triton DE filter
    TF100 test kit w/ speedstir