Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New vinyl pool build in central PA

1. Back To Top    #1

New vinyl pool build in central PA

Hi everybody. I have been reading the forum for a while and finally signup with PB to build the pool. In order to build the pool we need to put a couple retaining walls which would eat probably 50% of the budget but this is something we have to do.
    Here are pool specs.
    1. Vinyl double roman 48x20(main area 40x20 and each end adds extra 4'). One end to have steps and other diving board.
    2. Shallow end PB is going to put 4' wall instead of 3'6" and deep end gets 9'.
    3. Three returns, one on each side to generate water movement around the pool and one of the deep end.
    4. No main drains. Two skimmers. 6' Diving board.
    5. 2" Plumbing.
    6. All pentair equipment. VF pump, 400K heater, easytouch 4 + IC60, two LED lights, 520Sqft cartridge filter, wireless remote.
    7. Stone coping and pavers around the pool area.
    8. LoopLoc safety cover.

Photo album: http://slava.no-ip.org/~poolpic/photo/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IG double roman vinyl 40x20. 35000 gal. 9' deep. Diving board.Pentair 400HD gas heater, ItelliFlow Variable Flow pump, 520 cartridge filter, two pentair G5 lights, IC60 SWG cell.
    Photo album: http://slava.no-ip.org/~poolpic/photo

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New vinyl pool build in central PA

Cool, I never personally seen a pool deeper than 8' in the deep end,other than an inch or so.

Don't forget to ask if he is including a safety cover after it's all done. You don't want to be stuck with a tarp with a brand new pool
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

Slavka - fellow PA'er here. In Williamsport PA. Pool dig starts this Monday for me. 18x36 Mountain pond in-ground, salt water and all Hayward. What made you jump at the gas vs heat pump. Please advise. I had asked my wife several key questions to our decision to go heat pump, but as usual, she has shifted and is asking me why I did what I did.... Please let me know. Thanks, Ted.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by X-PertPool
    Cool, I never personally seen a pool deeper than 8' in the deep end,other than an inch or so.

Don't forget to ask if he is including a safety cover after it's all done. You don't want to be stuck with a tarp with a brand new pool
    Thank you. I forgot to include it in the initial list. Added now.
    IG double roman vinyl 40x20. 35000 gal. 9' deep. Diving board.Pentair 400HD gas heater, ItelliFlow Variable Flow pump, 520 cartridge filter, two pentair G5 lights, IC60 SWG cell.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by thadius65
    Slavka - fellow PA'er here. In Williamsport PA. Pool dig starts this Monday for me. 18x36 Mountain pond in-ground, salt water and all Hayward. What made you jump at the gas vs heat pump. Please advise. I had asked my wife several key questions to our decision to go heat pump, but as usual, she has shifted and is asking me why I did what I did.... Please let me know. Thanks, Ted.
    From what I can tell Gas heater will heat the water much faster than heat pump, especially with large pool. So I will not have to wait days for temp to recover. I am not sure though if you will keep maintaining pool temperature.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Basically Heat Pump vs. Heater

Initial cost, Heat Pump costs more
    Running cost, Heater costs more
    BTU, Heater has more.
    Heater can be installed indoors with a vent kit. Heat pump can not.
    Heat pump may be more durable in terms of heater exchanger
    Heat pump is a bit more noisy.

I really can't think of any other ways to compare them.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

7. Back To Top    #7

Rain and bad weather slow down the build but retaining walls are almost complete and dig date for the pool is tomorrow.
    http://slava.no-ip.org/~poolpic/photo/

8. Back To Top    #8

Dig is done. Walls are going up.

9. Back To Top    #9

Looks fantastic keep the pics coming. The retaining walls while expensive add a lot of character to the sight. I love walkout sites. They are beautiful with pools
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

10. Back To Top    #10

Some progress. Second wall is coming up. Pool walls are bolted together.

11. Back To Top    #11

That is awesome! I love the terraced feel the walls give to the yard.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

12. Back To Top    #12

Looks great. Those walls must've cost you a fortune.

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes. walls look great but were the necessaty, otherwise we could not fit the pool in our original grade.
    Walls are about 24$K.Crazy

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by slavka001
    Yes. walls look great but were the necessaty, otherwise we could not fit the pool in our original grade.
    I have a severely sloped yard as well and have looked into building a wall similar to yours. The cost of having it professionally done is outrageous. The end product looks awesome, but that's a hit to the pocketbook I just can't take.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by slavka001
    I did something pretty similar. I had 20 foot grade difference front to back, and about 15 feet side to side. I had right at 1000 sq feet of Vers Loc put in. $27,000 just for the walls! Yes, crazy expensive.

Your pool with those walls is going to look really nice.

14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

16. Back To Top    #16

Some progress again. Pool floor got some concrete and vermiculite is next. Backfill is going on today and desc will be poured tomorrow. Getting stairs added to the deck.
    On the weekend I have connected retaining wall lights and mounted junction boxes for equipment hookup.
    Still struggling to connect the equipment since we do not have pavers yet. So i build the box around the pipes and the plan is to do the pavers in the equipment area, connect plumbing and then finish pavers where the pipes coming out out of the ground.

17. Back To Top    #17

pictures

18. Back To Top    #18

pictures

19. Back To Top    #19

Looks like they are doing a good job!

20. Back To Top    #20

I wanted to provide a picture of my walls in my back yard. We would have NEVER imagined that we had a requirement for this much wall material. For those following this thread, just know the wall is a major percentage of the construction. My wall material alone (all my labor) including PA Bluestone deck will run approximately $35K. To-date, I've spent $33K. If I had known how much it cost, I would have used a cheaper wall material. For those building pools, make sure you really pay attention to your elevations. We would have never believed we would be 8' below grade at the deep end.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast