Stenner Pump Setup? Confused. Lots of questions.

texasdad

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 10, 2011
DFW Metro
In may my pool was new and this website talked me into using liquid chlorine instead of pucks. I'm convinced now after a very hot summer with 0 algae problems. But I'm tired of adding chlorine every day.

I see lots of problems posted about the liquidator so don't think that is the answer I'm looking for.

After a little research peristaltic pump seems like the ideal solution. But it seems very few pool suppliers sell them, few build builders recommend them, and they generally are not used in residential pools. While I'm not one to blindly follow the crowd, I do think the crowd is often right. In a strange town at dinner time do you go to the restaurant that is empty or the one you have to wait for a table? So what does the crowd know about chlorine pumps that I dont?

If a pump is what I need then what one?
Option 1: http://www.uswatersystems.com/shop/prod ... ystem.html

Option 2: http://www.uswatersystems.com/shop/prod ... -Pump.html combined with http://www.uswatersystems.com/shop/prod ... T4121.html

Option 3: http://www.inyopools.com/Products/00100006043302.htm

With option one or two what controls the pump run time? Hook it up to the pump timer so it is on whenever the pump is on? Or get a separate timer for the pump?

What size tank do I need for this. 30 gallons sounds really big?

Anything else I need for this setup?

For the great majority a SWG is a better choice, mostly because there is no carrying bleach to pour into the tank. Still, a peristaltic pump is also a fine choice, though it does require a little more of a DIY attitude (only because they don't tend to be packaged for homeowner usage, so you need to figure out your own package/setup).

With a 13K pool, a 15 gallon tank will no doubt be far more than sufficient, and there is little point in getting a tank smaller than 15 gallons.

For feed rate you have several choices. You can either get a variable speed peristaltic pump, or you can get a fixed speed peristaltic pump and control how long it is turned on. Personally I like to have a separate timer, or relay on an automation system, controlling the feed pump, but many others have done well with with variable rate pumps that are on when the pool pump is on. In either case, it is helpful to figure out about how much bleach you use in a day at the peak of the summer, and then factor in your normal pump run time to get a rough estimate of the feed rate.

JasonLion said:
For the great majority a SWG is a better choice, mostly because there is no carrying bleach to pour into the tank. Still, a peristaltic pump is also a fine choice, though it does require a little more of a DIY attitude (only because they don't tend to be packaged for homeowner usage, so you need to figure out your own package/setup).

With a 13K pool, a 15 gallon tank will no doubt be far more than sufficient, and there is little point in getting a tank smaller than 15 gallons.

For feed rate you have several choices. You can either get a variable speed peristaltic pump, or you can get a fixed speed peristaltic pump and control how long it is turned on. Personally I like to have a separate timer, or relay on an automation system, controlling the feed pump, but many others have done well with with variable rate pumps that are on when the pool pump is on. In either case, it is helpful to figure out about how much bleach you use in a day at the peak of the summer, and then factor in your normal pump run time to get a rough estimate of the feed rate.

Ive ruled out salt. My wife has swam in them and complains about the salt taste and the stick feeling on skin afterward. I'm also concerned about the flagstone coping around he pool with salt.

I should rule out the ORP sensor?

I don't recommend ORP for outdoor residential pools. ORP sensors cause additional problems that aren't worth the hassle unless the pool is indoors or has lots and lots of people swimming every day (as a commercial pool tends to).

Which system you get all depends on how you're going to control the pump. If you're going to run it when the main pump runs then you'll be better off getting an adjustable pump and a 15 gallon tank. You can find the tanks on Ebay for about $20.

Ok, I'm close to ordering a pump now.
Is the Stenner 45MHP10 the right pump?

I'm planning to connect it so that it runs when the pool pump is on high (an hour a day now, 2 hours a day peek of summer).

Also, any knowledge of http://Www.lockewell.com? They have he best price I've found.

I'm not finding anything priced close to that on eBay. The stenner tank is $100 so I'd lve to go cheaper.

Bama Rambler said:
Which system you get all depends on how you're going to control the pump. If you're going to run it shen the main pump runs then you'll be better off getting an adjustable pump and a 15 gallon tank. You can find the tanks on Ebay for about $20.

Dave - you're not talking about a stenner tank right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think you'd be fine with that - 10 gallons a day is way more than you would ever need to dispense normally. The mhp2 will max out at 3 gals which that would be 24ppm in my 16k pool using 12% so slighlty more for you . If you're shocking that may be helpful to maintain shock level while youre away from the pool. It also depends on how fast you want to chlorinate see this link for the different rates http://www.lockewell.com/pdf/45series.pdf you can use that to figure out how many minutes you need to run it for and if that will fit it to your filtering cycle with 30 mins after to mix all the CL. Think of how you might want to chlorinate (once a day, continually, in bursts) and how much CL needs to be dispensed in those time periods and pick the pump that matches tha and then some.

Anyway if you get the mhp2 and end up needing bigger then you can just switch out the tube in the pump and you'll get the next size up; a great advantage with the stenners. But the mhp10 gives you the widest flexibility though probably with a lot of overkill.

carlscan26 said:
I think you'd be fine with that - 10 gallons a day is way more than you would ever need to dispense normally. The mhp2 will max out at 3 gals which that would be 24ppm in my 16k pool using 12% so slighlty more for you . If you're shocking that may be helpful to maintain shock level while youre away from the pool. It also depends on how fast you want to chlorinate see this link for the different rates http://www.lockewell.com/pdf/45series.pdf you can use that to figure out how many minutes you need to run it for and if that will fit it to your filtering cycle with 30 mins after to mix all the CL. Think of how you might want to chlorinate (once a day, continually, in bursts) and how much CL needs to be dispensed in those time periods and pick the pump that matches tha and then some.

Anyway if you get the mhp2 and end up needing bigger then you can just switch out the tube in the pump and you'll get the next size up; a great advantage with the stenners. But the mhp10 gives you the widest flexibility though probably with a lot of overkill.

Thanks, Great to know that I can change pump output without replacing the entire thing.
I'm planning to wire it up to be on for about an hour day when the pump is on high - so max output will be 1/24 of 10 gallons, or .42 gallons per day. Enough to raise the FC about 2ppm.

I've done the same research...I'm planning either a slow drip for 6-8 hours or 2 injections morning and evening for an hour each which at max speed with the mhp2 should yield a quart which is good for 2ppm with 12.5% CL for the size of my pool. But I'll upgrade the flow if I need to inject faster/don't want to run longer cycles for some future reason :p

(I was leaning towards a RolaChem but a deal I thought I had on one didn't pan out and I'd prefer a Stenner because of the flexibility to upgrade)

I too am very interested in a stenner not so much for my current pool but for a new or new to me pool. I am moving soon and plan on setting up my new pool to be easier to control chlorine input than to pour it in by hand daily. Ive been looking at a few websites but i am overwhelmed by my lack of knowledge regarding single head double head etc etc. if anyone is knowledgeable about them and willing to talk with me about them i would be grateful

I can try to help...just learned a ton myself recently.

Double head is basically two separate dispensing units....so you can pump two different kinds of chemicals. Most of us only would ever use a single head.

If you wanted to chat more, just PM me your contact info....I would gladly share what I know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.