Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rat in the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Rat in the pool

I'm not sure this is the correct forum, but here goes. This AM I found a dead rat on the bottom of the shallow end. It probably fell in trying to get a drink. I fished it out. No evidence of injury, and it looked in pretty good shape (ugh!). I skipped my workout today, for esthetic reasons.

My question: should I shock? If yes, to what level.

Chemistry this AM:
    FC: 6.0
    CC: 0.0
    CYA is 30-40.

Thanks.
    22,500 gal, in-ground, plaster, Intelliflo VS 3050 pump, Sta-Rite 400 sq. ft. cartridge filter, solar panels on roof

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rat in the pool

Shock and do OCLT in AM to be sure everything is OK. Rats are pretty good swimmers in general, so it may have been in there a long time.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. It was not in there last night at 9 PM when I did my routine liquid chlorine dosing. To what level do you recommend shocking? Based on pool calculator, "routine" shock is about 14 ppm.
    22,500 gal, in-ground, plaster, Intelliflo VS 3050 pump, Sta-Rite 400 sq. ft. cartridge filter, solar panels on roof

4. Back To Top    #4

I think you're ok based upon your FC level of 6 and your CC level of 0. There's nothing reacting with the chlorine to cause CC and the FC has done it's job but I guess you could shock for piece of mind.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

Most dead animals in pools do not pose a health risk to swimmers. If you find a dead animal in the pool, following the simple removal and disinfection steps below will help ensure healthy swimming in the pool.

Dead raccoons in pools, however, can pose a health risk to swimmers. This is because raccoons might be infected with a worm called Baylisascaris, which can be spread to humans. For more information, go to CDC’s Raccoons and Pools page.

What should I do if I find a dead animal in the pool?*
    Follow these steps to remove the animal and disinfect the water:

•Close the pool to swimmers.
    •Put on disposable gloves.
    •Use a net or bucket to remove the dead animal from the pool.
    •Double bag the animal in plastic garbage bags.
    •Clean off any debris or dirt from the item used to remove the dead animal.
    •Remove gloves and place them in the garbage bags.
    •Close the garbage bags and place them in a sealed trash can to help keep wild animals away from the dead animal.
    •Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water immediately.
    •Raise the free chlorine concentration to, or maintain it at, 2 parts per million (ppm); maintain the pH levels at 7.5 or less; keep the temperature at 77°F (25°C) or higher. The free chlorine and pH should remain at these levels for 30 minutes.
    •Confirm that the filtration system is operating properly during this time.
    •Disinfect the item used to remove the dead animal by immersing it in the pool during the 30 minute disinfection time.
    *These cleaning and disinfection steps are for animals commonly reported to be found dead in pools. Pre-weaned calves and lambs are often infected with Cryptosporidium, a chlorine-tolerant germ, and could pose a health risk to swimmers if found dead in a pool. After removing a dead calf or lamb from the pool, decontaminate the water by following CDC’s Hyperchlorination to Kill Cryptosporidium.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimmin ... pools.html
    The CDC's recommendation for FC is without cyanuric acid. I would say to raise the FC to 40 % of the cyanuric acid and allow the filtration to run for 24 hours and then clean the filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Dam, I am glad I read this forum, about a month ago I found a dead mouse in the pool, I fished it out of my skimmer with my hands. Next day, or a couple, I found another one dead under my solar cover, when trying to remove it pretty much fell apart in the water. I didnt do any shocking or disinfecting. I guess I need to be more carefull next time, I never thought it could be a problem
    Free Form Gunite Saltwater Pool, 29,000 Gallons, Jandy DEL60 Filter, Jandy AquaPure 1400 Chlorinator, Polaris 380 Cleaner, Attached HotTub.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for all the replies, especially the CDC reference.
    I went ahead and shocked up to around 14ppm. I've had small mice in the pool a few times over many years, but never a rat, which sort of creeped me out. Fortunately it hadn't been mangled by a cat.
    So, I'll probably get back in on Sunday, since the FC should be back down by then. I just won't swallow. Ugh. If I come down with Leptospirosis, I'll let everyone know.
    Thanks again.

8. Back To Top    #8

What the cat doesn't catch, the pool does. I pull a few out over the season. They're never there at night, but they're there in the morning. Since they're usually only in there a few hours, I haven't shocked, but raising a few points might be a good idea. Nice post above!
    27000 gal 18x36 rectangle In-Ground built in 1978
    Vinyl liner, 3/4hp Hayward Super pump, single speed 3450rpm
    SWG: Hayward Aquarite AQR15
    Sand Filter: 300 pound sta-rite T-240BP-1, 3.14 sqft surface area
    K-2006 Test kit