Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raising CYA using Dichlor

1. Back To Top    #1

Raising CYA using Dichlor

Hello all!

Just as you said a few months ago, my CYA has dropped from 65 to 45 due to splash out.

I would like to raise it to 50-55 using dichlor. Any general ideas how long i should switch to dichlor to get the CYA to 55?

I dont want to keep testing for CYA to save chemicals... I know i know I am being cheap here

Thanks!
    Suley, West Hills, CA
    IG 23000 Gallons with IG Spa Gunite plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3HP, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter, Teledyne Laars One series 400,000 BTU Nat Gas Heater, Hayward Max Flo 1HP Single Speed Spa pump, Noisy Spa blower, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Raising CYA using Dichlor

Use the Pool Calculator to figure out how many oz of dichlor it will take to get your CYA from where it is to where you want it. (I get 60 oz)

Then figure out how much dichor you need daily, as you test FC daily. (I get 10 oz volume for 2 FC added)

Keep track of the tally and at some point you will have used the total. (I get 6 days at 10 oz volume per day)

Go back to bleach for a week or two before testing the CYA, so that you are sure that it will show up on test. (But test is +/- 15 ppm accuracy so don't bother testing.)
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks!

I keep forgetting to look at the lower part of the pool calculator!
    Suley, West Hills, CA
    IG 23000 Gallons with IG Spa Gunite plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3HP, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter, Teledyne Laars One series 400,000 BTU Nat Gas Heater, Hayward Max Flo 1HP Single Speed Spa pump, Noisy Spa blower, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic vacuum.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Suley View Post
    Thanks!

I keep forgetting to look at the lower part of the pool calculator!
    Thank you! I was looking for the same info and overlooking the drop down at the very bottom. Thanks for mentioning where it is.
    IG Plaster/Gunite appx 20-24k Gallons - DE Filter 60 sq ft? with 3/4 hp Pentair Challenger pump