Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: newb, go easy........

1. Back To Top    #1

newb, go easy........

Hi guys I've recently purchased an Intek 12' x 30'' pool. Being in Houston it's been great. I've been getting these bugs/insects. They look to have six legs, and they seem to stay on the bottom. So far, I have not gotten any out that were alive so this is the best I can do for a pic. I've been searching this and a few other forums and simply googled "pool bugs" and cannot find anything remotely close. Hopefully someone here can help or give some insight.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: newb, go easy........

Were you in AZ I'd suggest scorpions. But here in Houston, not so likely. How 'bout baby crawfish??
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Looks like backswimmers. They bite! What is your chlorine level? Adequate chlorine almost always makes them go away.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

anon: They have a "squid like" texture. Dave, as of today chlorine is 5. Thanks guys.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Houston, Texas

Hi welcome to TFP! Could you post a complete set of test results? We would need to know the other results to determine if the Chlorine is high enough. What do you use to test the water?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Clovis, Ca

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Looks like backswimmers. They bite! What is your chlorine level? Adequate chlorine almost always makes them go away.
    How do they taste?
    Brand new IG gunite and plaster approx 18,500 gallons measured at fill from H2O meter.
    Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge 420 CU.FT.
    IntelliFlo VS-3050 VS+SVRS Pump
    Polaris 280 Cleaner
    Intellitouch automation
    TF100 Test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Sorry about that, my paper was in the car.

test done at local Leslie's store.
    FC - 5
    TC - 5
    TA - 90
    pH - 7.5
    CYA - 99
    12' x 30" intek easy set.

8. Back To Top    #8
    SouthWest Alabama

A CYA of 99 means it is probably actually over 100. Most places can't test higher than 100 and some put 99 in so the program will give them a suggestion and not just tell you to drain water.

5 ppm isn't nearly enough FC. You should keep it between 7 & 12 and never lower than 7.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Sorry for not updating this. Been busy. Got the FC up to around 8, pool is clear as glass, and so far no more bugs. Thanks guys!!!!!