Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AA treatment

1. Back To Top    #1

AA treatment

what is the purpose of waiting 2 weeks after an AA treatment before raising chlorine back up?
    21X41, 30,000, ig, vinyl,48sf de, 1hp hayward super pump, 2" piping, 2 skimmers, 1 main inlet, 2 return, built in 1988, no enclosure, lots of trees around, direct sun. Thanks in advance to all who have answered my questions.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: AA treatment

I'm not sure where you got that idea. you raise the FC level back up to normal levels after only 24 hours. However, you don't want to shock for 2 weeks because shocking before everything has settled down can cause the stains to reappear.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: AA treatment

It's not that you don't use chlorine for 2 weeks, but rather that you don't shock for 2 weeks (see this post for the ascorbic acid treatment instructions). I believe the main reason is to prevent the pH from rising since adding hypochlorite sources of chlorine raises the pH upon addition. As noted in the post, you want to maintain a lower pH and have it slowly rise up over time. Specifically, the post says the following:

Do not shock for at least 2 weeks! Make sure you keep your ph low for (7.2) for a week or two
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"